Details for Benchmark: HV8401
N 38° 52.948 W 077° 17.850 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In FAIRFAX county, VA View Original Datasheet
- Marker Type:
- traverse station disk
- set into the top of a round concrete monument
- May hold, but of type commonly subject to surface motion.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1975 by VA-059 (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY FAIRFAX COUNTY VIRGINIA 1975 (EYB)
THE STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 7.8 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HERNDON, 6.6 MILES WEST OF FALLS CHURCH, 2.6 MILES NORTH OF FAIRFAX CITY, ALONG THE SIDE OF SOUTH BOUND LANE OF CHAINBRIDGE ROAD NEAR THE OAKTON CENTER SHOPPING AREA. SEE FAIRFAX COUNTY TAX MAP 47-2, 2800 BLOCK OF CHAIN BRIDGE ROAD, REVISED TO 1-1-76.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE JUNCTION OF MAIN STREET, ROUTE 236, AND CHAIN BRIDGE ROAD, ROUTE 123, IN FAIRFAX CITY, GO NORTH ON CHAIN BRIDGE ROAD FOR 2.9 MILES TO THE OAKTON CENTER SHOPPING AREA. TURN LEFT INTO THE PARKING AREA AND IMMEDIATELY TURN RIGHT. GO FOR 0.1 MILES VIA AN ACCESS ROAD TO OAKTON MANOR COURT AND STATION ON THE RIGHT ON MEDIAN STRIP BETWEEN THE ACCESS ROAD AND THE SOUTH BOUND LANE OF CHAIN BRIDGE ROAD.
THE STATION IS A STANDARD FAIRFAX COUNTY VIRGINIA DISK STAMPED--- ELMER 1975--- SET INTO THE TOP OF A ROUND CONCRETE MONUMENT 14 INCHES IN DIAMETER FLUSH WITH GROUND LOCATED 20 FEET N FROM THE CENTERLINE OF THE SOUTHBOUND LANE OF ROUTE 123.
REFERENCE MARK NO. 01 IS A PK NAIL IN THE SIDE OF UTILITY POLE 11 LOCATED 20 FEET N FROM THE CENTERLINE OF THE SOUTHBOUND LANE OF ROUTE 123.
REFERENCE MARK NO. 02 IS A PK NAIL IN THE SIDE OF UTILITY POLE QC-16 LOCATED 20 FEET N FROM THE CENTERLINE OF THE SOUTHBOUND LANE OF ROUTE 123.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in November 1994.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.