Skip to Content

Details for Benchmark: JD2622

N 38° 38.116 W 092° 43.671 (NAD 83)

Altitude: 924

Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)

Location:
In MONITEAU county, MO View Original Datasheet
Designation:
COLE RESET
Marker Type:
stone monument
Setting:
set into the top of a round concrete monument
Stability:

Must Read!

Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.

MARK RECOVERED IN GOOD SHAPE ALSO RECOVERED REFERENCE MARK 3 AND 4.
THESE WERE A GREAT FIND WHILE HEADED UP TO THE MOGA 2007 EVENT THIS WEEKEND.
THE TRANSCONTINENTAL ARC IS QUITE A HISTORY LESSON.

[Photos:]
photoJD2622 COLE RESET
JD2622 COLE RESET DISC
photoJD2622 COLE RESET VIEW
JD2622 COLE RESET JUST A VIEW
photoJD2622 COLE RESET RM 3-4
JD2622 COLE RESET RM 3-4 ALL IN ONE
photoJD2622 COLE RM 4
JD2622 COLE RM 4 DISC
photoJD2622 COLE RM 3
JD2622 COLE RM 3 DISC
photoJD2622 COLE VIEW
JD2622 COLE VIEW NORTHERLY

Documented History (by the NGS)

01/01/1880 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1880 (FDG) ABOUT 3 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF TOWN OF TIPTON, IN NORTHERN PART OF SEC. 30, T. 45 N., R. 16 W., ON LAND OWNED AND OCCUPIED IN 1922 BY JOHN C. COLE. STATION WAS ORIGINALLY AT CENTER OF OLD WINDMILL WHICH WAS USED AS OBSERVING SCAFFOLD. IN 1922 ALL MARKS WERE RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION, BUT OLD WINDMILL WAS GONE. FARMHOUSE STANDS TO SOUTHWARD OF WHERE OLD WINDMILL STOOD. STATION IS IN FRONT YARD DIRECTLY NORTH OF HOUSE 18 FEET SOUTH OF CENTER LINE OF EAST-AND-WEST ROAD, 46.4 FEET N 40 DEG W FROM NORTHEAST CORNER OF HOUSE, AND 29 FEET N 01 DEG E FROM NORTHWEST CORNER OF HOUSE. SURFACE MARK IS STONE POST WITNESSED BY TWO OTHERS, AND UNDERGROUND MARK IS BOTTLE OF ASHES, EXCEPT WITNESS STONES ARE ONLY 4 FEET FROM STATION.
01/01/1922 by CGS (SEE DESCRIPTION)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1922 IN 1922 STANDARD DISK STATION MARK WAS SET IN TOP OF SURFACE MARK.
01/01/1935 by CGS (POOR)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1935 (GJ) STATION FOUND ON LAND DESCRIBED, OWNED AND OPERATED BY OSCAR COLE, 3 MILES E AND 1.5 MILES S OF TIPTON, 0.8 MILE S OF U.S. HIGHWAY 50, 0.2 MILE W OF ONE N-S ROAD AND 0.8 MILE E OF ANOTHER AND ABOUT 150 FEET E OF SHORT S-CURVE IN ROAD. STATION IS 11 FEET S OF FRONT YARD FENCE, 27-1/2 FEET S OF CENTER LINE OF ROAD, 35-1/2 FEET ESE OF CORNER POST AT NW CORNER OF YARD AND 54 FEET WNW OF 30-INCH MAPLE TREE ON E SIDE OF YARD AND ON A LINE BETWEEN THIS TREE AND CORNER POST. WITNESS POSTS WERE FOUND AS DESCRIBED, MARKED WITH STANDARD REFERENCE DISKS. SURFACE MARK DOES NOT HAVE BRONZE DISK THAT DESCRIPTION CLAIMS. TOP OF STONE POST HAS BEEN CRACKED BUT APPARENTLY HAS NOT BEEN DISTURBED.
01/01/1948 by CGS (GOOD)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1948 (LBO) STATION RECOVERED AND MARKS FOUND IN GOOD CONDITION. IT IS ON LAND NOW OWNED BY MR. OSCAR COLE. IN THE 1922 DESCRIPTION IT STATED THAT A DISK STATION MARK WAS SET IN TOP OF SURFACE MARK. THERE IS NO DISK IN TOP OF STATION MARK BUT STANDARD REFERENCE DISKS WERE SET IN TOPS OF REFERENCE POSTS. TO REACH FROM TIPTON, FROM THE JUNCTION OF U.S. HIGHWAY 50 AND STATE HIGHWAY 5 IN SOUTHWEST EDGE OF TOWN, GO EAST ON U.S. 50 FOR 3.4 MILES TO A SIDE ROAD RIGHT AT A WHITE HOUSE ON RIGHT, TURN RIGHT AND GO SOUTH FOR 0.8 MILE TO A SIDE ROAD RIGHT, TURN RIGHT AND GO WEST 0.15 MILE TO MR. COLES HOUSE ON LEFT AND STATION IN YARD NORTH OF HIS HOUSE.
01/01/1963 by CGS (SEE DESCRIPTION)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1963 (DJF) THE SURFACE-STATION MARK, UNDERGROUND-STATION MARK AND THE STONE WITNESS POST SOUTH OF THE STATION MARK WERE RECOVERED. THE TOP OF THE STONE WITNESS POST NORTH OF THE STATION HAS BEEN BROKEN OFF. THE SURFACE STATION MARK, A STONE POST WITH A CROSS AND THE LETTERS USCS ENGRAVED IN ITS TOP, AND THE UNDERGROUND-STATION MARK, A BOTTLE, WERE LIFTED AND REPLACED WITH STANDARD STATION MARK DISKS SET IN CONCRETE. A NEW DESCRIPTION FOR THE STATION IS LISTED BELOW. THE STATION IS 3 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF TIPTON, 3/4 MILE SOUTH OF U.S. HIGHWAY 50, IN THE NORTH PART OF SECTION 30, T 45 N, R 16 W. AND IN THE FRONT LAWN OF THE FARM RESIDENCE OF MR. CHARLES ELMLINVER. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE JUNCTION OF U.S. HIGHWAY 50 AND STATE HIGHWAY 5 AT THE SOUTH EDGE OF TIPTON, DRIVE EAST ON U.S. HIGHWAY 50 FOR 2.7 MILES TO ITS JUNCTION WITH COUNTY ROUTE BB ON THE RIGHT. CONTINUE EAST ON U.S. HIGHWAY 50 FOR 0.7 MILE TO A GRAVELED SIDE ROAD ON THE RIGHT. TURN RIGHT AND DRIVE SOUTH FOR 0.35 MILE TO A WOODEN GATE, A FIELD ENTRANCE ROAD AND THE AZIMUTH MARK ON THE LEFT. CONTINUE SOUTH ON THE GRAVELED ROAD FOR 0.4 MILE TO A SIDE ROAD ON THE RIGHT. TURN RIGHT AND DRIVE WEST FOR 0.2 MILE TO THE FARM RESIDENCE OF MR. CHARLES ELMLINVER AND THE STATION ON THE LEFT. SURFACE AND UNDERGROUND-STATION MARKS ARE STANDARD DISKS, EACH STAMPED COLE 1880 1963. THE UNDERGROUND-STATION MARK IS SET IN THE TOP OF A MASS OF CONCRETE 50 INCHES BELOW THE GROUND SURFACE. THE SURFACE-STATION MARK IS SET IN THE TOP OF A CYLINDRICAL CONCRETE MONUMENT, 10 INCHES IN DIAMETER, FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND. IT IS 36.0 FEET EAST OF THE WEST YARD FENCE, 29.0 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTER OF THE EAST-WEST ROAD, 29.0 FEET NORTH OF THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE FARM HOUSE AND 11.0 FEET SOUTH OF THE NORTH YARD FENCE. THE STONE WITNESS POST SOUTH OF THE STATION IS 4 INCHES SQUARE AT THE TOP, FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND AND A STANDARD REFERENCE MARK DISK, STAMPED COLE 1880, IS CEMENTED IN A DRILL HOLE IN ITS TOP. REFERENCE MARK 3, ESTABLISHED THIS YEAR, IS A STANDARD DISK STAMPED COLE NO 3 1880. THE DISK, SET IN THE TOP OF A CYLINDRICAL CONCRETE MONUMENT, 10 INCHES IN DIAMETER, PROJECTING 5 INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND SURFACE, IS 14.0 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTER OF THE EAST-WEST ROAD AND 2.0 FEET WEST OF A POWERLINE POLE. REFERENCE MARK 4, ESTABLISHED THIS YEAR, IS A STANDARD DISK STAMPED COLE NO 4 1880. THE DISK, SET IN THE TOP OF A CONCRETE MONUMENT, CYLINDRICAL AND 10 INCHES IN DIAMETER, PROJECTING 4 INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND SURFACE, IS 16.0 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTER OF THE EAST-WEST ROAD AND 1.0 FOOT SOUTH OF THE SOUTH RIGHT-OF-WAY FENCE. THE AZIMUTH MARK, ESTABLISHED THIS YEAR, IS A STANDARD DISK STAMPED COLE 1880 1963. THE DISK IS SET IN THE TOP OF A CYLINDRICAL CONCRETE MONUMENT, 12 INCHES IN DIAMETER, PROJECTING 6 INCHES ABOVE THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND. IT IS 21.0 FEET EAST OF THE CENTER OF THE NORTH-SOUTH GRAVELED ROAD, 10.0 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTER OF THE WOODEN GATE AND FIELD ENTRANCE ROAD, 2.5 FEET NORTHWEST OF A METAL WITNESS POST WITH SIGN ATTACHED AND 1.5 FEET WEST OF THE EAST ROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY FENCE.

Control Text

  • The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in February 2000.
  • The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
  • The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
  • The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.

Advertising with Us

Return to the Top of the Page