Details for Benchmark: JV2028
N 39° 59.267 W 077° 22.850 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In ADAMS county, PA View Original Datasheet
- D 164
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- in rock outcrop
- Most reliable and expected to hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Ernmark found JV2028
Recovered in good condition.. The trick with this one is that there are 2 culverts. The mark is 30' W of the NE culvert, which is across the road from the northmost point of the camp. The mark is in a boulder, about 4 ft. E of a forked 30" tree and 3 ft. NW of 2" small pine. and (approx) 100 ft. NE of pole #17121861 - pole in original description is gone...
[Photos:]D 164 (JV2028) disk - Adams County, PA
D 164 (JV2028) disk incognito
..as I found it
D 164 (JV2028) setting - looking SE
D 164 (JV2028) area - looking W
..mark is near base of large tree at center right
||catfishcrusader found JV2028
The description from fellow benchmarkers lead me
to the right area.
||gnbrotz found jv2028
The coords and description put us in the right area, but didn't lead us directly to the mark. We did find it after a bit of searching. Mark is on the NW side of the road, across from the 'Mtn. Lodge' camp, 30' W of the headwall of a culvert.
||Ghosthunter found JV2028
After two unsuccessful attempts, with the help of fellow benchmarkers, and after reworking the available information on this benchmark, found this benchmark without too much difficulty. The coordinates should be sufficient to locate this benchmark, on the west side of Route 233.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1942 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942
5.4 MI SW FROM PINE GROVE FURNACE. IN ADAMS COUNTY, 5.4 MILES SOUTHWEST ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 233 FROM THE POST OFFICE AT PINE GROVE FURNACE, CUMBERLAND COUNTY, 11.4 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE NORTH CORNER OF BLACK HAWK CAMP, 30 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE HIGHWAY, 20 FEET WEST OF A TELEPHONE POLE, AND IN THE TOP OF A ROCK OUTCROP. A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED D 164 1942.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.