Details for Benchmark: KG0121
N 39° 28.267 W 098° 56.767 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In OSBORNE county, KS View Original Datasheet
- W 161
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Rotareneg found KG0121
A day after failing to find this one we went back and tried again, succeeding this time.
The benchmark was where it was described, except that I wouldn't say "in the concrete base of the elevator." It's on top of a concrete ledge covering a window for the elevator basement extending off the east end of the last silo of the elevator.
It is about 2.5' above the ground, 8" south of the north edge of the ledge, and 25.5" from the silo itself, which should help if it gets painted over again.
This entry was edited by Rotareneg on Monday, 04 October 2010 at 08:36:39.
[Photos:]It's pretty easy to miss if you don't look close
||___stonedigger found KG0121
This is a nice find. Be sure to look closely. This cap may get painted over again someday.
[Photos:]W 161, Alton, KS
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1934 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934
AT ALTON. AT ALTON, OSBORNE COUNTY, ON THE MISSOURI PACIFIC RAILROAD, 150 FEET WEST OF THE STATION, 1-1/2 POLES EAST OF THE TENTH POLE WEST OF MILEPOST 562, 100 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE MAIN TRACK, 3 FEET EAST OF THE MOST EASTERLY ONE IN A ROW OF FOUR CONCRETE ELEVATORS, IN THE CONCRETE BASE OF THE ELEVATOR, AND ABOUT 2 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND. A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED W 161 1934.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.