Details for Benchmark: KU1006
N 40° 49.183 W 073° 53.417 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In BRONX county, NY View Original Datasheet
- J 340
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- massive structures
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||BenchmarkHunter found KU1006
Found in good condition as described. Still precarious to use, but easily seen and photographed through the fence.
||Papa-Bear-NYC found KU1006
Today I worked my way on foot across the south Bronx along Bruckner Boulevard from Castle Hill Avenue to Willis Avenue, about 5 miles. It was at times pleasantly reisdential and at times rather gritty industrial. I found about half my targets, including 3 FTFs and one of the original NY City bench Marks from 1909 ([url=http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?Pid=KU1002]KU1002[/url]), so it was not a bad day.
This one was on a retaining wall at an overpass over a railroad and I though I would have to be satisfied with a picture take through a fence. Then I noticed a hole in the fence around the corner, so I could get right upto the mark. Be careful if you do this - you are on the edge of a 30 foot drop with no protection.
For GC and the contest, this is an FTF, but in truth there was a 2004 recovery in the NGS database, so I won't claim it for my personal totals.
[Photos:]KU1006 "J 340", Bronx NY
View from the side walk. Local surveyors have obviously used this mark.
KU1006 "J 340", Bronx NY
Around the corner there was a hole in the fence and a ton of trash to scramble over. Be careful - there's a 30 foot drop to the tracks from the top of the retaining wall where the mark is located.
KU1006 "J 340", Bronx NY
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1952 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1952
AT NEW YORK. AT NEW YORK, IN BOROUGH OF BRONX, AT INTERSECTION OF BRUCKNER BOULEVARD AND HUNTS POINT AVENUE, 72 1/2 FEET SOUTHEAST OF SOUTHEAST CURB OF SOUTHEAST LANE OF BRUCKNER BOULEVARD, 21 FEET SOUTHWEST OF SOUTHWEST CURB OF HUNTS POINT AVENUE, IN THE TOP OF THE SOUTHWEST RETAINING WALL OF THE NORTHWEST ABUTMENT OF HUNTS POINT AVENUE BRIDGE OVER THE NEW YORK, NEW HAVEN AND HARTFORD RAILROAD, 16 FEET NORTHWEST OF NORTHWEST END OF BRIDGE, 3.7 FEET SOUTHEAST OF NORTHWEST END OF RETAINING WALL AND ABOUT 1/10 FOOT ABOVE LEVEL OF WALK.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.