Details for Benchmark: KU1021
N 40° 48.350 W 073° 55.517 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In BRONX county, NY View Original Datasheet
- T 338
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- massive structures
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||BenchmarkHunter marked KU1021 as destroyed
I remember this mark well when I used to pass it every morning. It was, unfortunately, destroyed in 2010-11.
||woodstrider marked KU1021 as destroyed
I could cry! :(.
I am finding so many BMs gone- all victims of Urban Renewal (is that term even still in the popular lexicon).
The bridge is rebuilt and at this moment being refaced with "new granite veneer. Mark (and former overpass) gone, presumed destroyed.
||Papa-Bear-NYC found KU1021
Today I worked my way on foot across the south Bronx along Bruckner Boulevard from Castle Hill Avenue to Willis Avenue, about 5 miles. It was at times pleasantly residential and at times rather gritty industrial. I found about half my targets, including 3 FTFs and one of the original NY City bench Marks from 1909 ([url=http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?Pid=KU1002]KU1002[/url]), so it was not a bad day.
Another easy one, and when I finished, I just had to walk over the bridge to Manhattan and take a bus home.
Although the disk is badly battered and heavily painted, the description is absolutely right on and a closeup of the disk shows the "T" and the "8" of the designation "T 338", so the identity of this station is unquestionable.
And to end the day on a high note, another ...
First to Find!
[Photos:]KU1021 "T 338", Bronx NY
View of the bridge abutment fropm across Willis Avenue.
KU1021 "T 338", Bronx NY
Battered and painted.
KU1021 "T 338", Bronx NY
A closeup showing the "T" and the "8" of the designation.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1952 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1952
AT NEW YORK. AT NEW YORK, IN BOROUGH OF BRONX, AT THE OVERPASS OF WILLIS AVENUE BRIDGE OVER BRUCKNER BOULEVARD, SET VERTICALLY IN THE NORTHWEST FACE OF NORTHEAST STONE MASONRY ABUTMENT OF WILLIS AVENUE BRIDGE, ABOUT 57 FEET NORTHEAST OF CENTER LINE OF BRUCKNER BOULEVARD, 19 FEET SOUTHEAST OF CENTER LINE OF NORTHWEST LANE OF WILLIS AVENUE 7 FEET NORTHEAST OF WEST CORNER OF ABUTMENT AND ABOUT 3 FEET ABOVE LEVEL OF STREET.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.