Details for Benchmark: KV1448
N 40° 47.017 W 075° 15.783 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In NORTHAMPTON county, PA View Original Datasheet
- 437 USGS
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Zhanna couldn't find KV1448
After a morning of mountain biking at nearby Jacobsburg State Park, Rich and I rode to the Plainfield Township Rail-Trail for some more riding, geocaching and benchmark hunting. Unfortunately this mark, which we figured to be at the intersection of the rail-trail (the old DL&W right-of-way) and Engler Road, eluded us. We did find the remains of an old concrete culvert at the intersection but could find no evidence of the mark. It may have been on a section of the culvert that is lying on the ground, too heavy to lift, or it may be overgrown with weeds.
[I]A report on the status of this mark has been submitted to NGS.[/I]
||Rich in NEPA couldn't find KV1448
[B]Mark not found.[/B]
This first order vertical control station appears to be situated at the intersection of the Plainfield Township Rails-Trail and Engler Road. The posted coordinates lead to this location. Some remains of a concrete culvert were found on the west side of the trail near the road crossing but the mark or any sign of it could be discovered in the portions of the rubble that are exposed.
~Rich in NEPA~
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1932 by USGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1932
1.4 MI N FROM BELFAST JUNCTION. 1.4 MILES NORTH ALONG THE DELAWARE, LACKAWANNA AND WESTERN RAILROAD FROM BELFAST JUNCTION, NORTHAMPTON COUNTY, 200 YARDS SOUTH OF MILEPOST 102, AT THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF WERKHEISER CROSSING, AT A CONCRETE-PIPE CULVERT UNDER THE TRACK, AND IN THE TOP OF THE WEST END OF THE SOUTHWEST RETAINING WALL. A UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY STANDARD DISK, STAMPED 437.
|01/01/1932 by CGS (GOOD)
|01/01/1934 by CGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
|06/02/1994 by USPSQD (MARK NOT FOUND)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1994
MARK NOT FOUND.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.