Details for Benchmark: KV1474
N 40° 41.350 W 075° 12.967 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In NORTHAMPTON county, PA View Original Datasheet
- Marker Type:
- chiseled square
- massive structures
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||DB2 found KV1474
Never would have found this from the coordinates. GZ is clear on the far side of the old Courthouse. ArtMan's log was most helpful in finding this one. Thanks!
Same image - cropped and contrast increased
||ArtMan found KV1474
Found as described. There are two corners of the jail that might be descibed as the "northwest corner." The one in question is at the corner closest to the front (ceremonial) entrance to the adjacent courthouse. The term "foundation" may also be confusing. The entire structure is made of stone, and I first thought the "foundation" was the lowest courses before it tapered inward a bit. In fact, the benchmark is set horizontally at ground level in gray stone, in contrast to the red sandstone of the jail proper.
The "XX" is not very distinct.
[Photos:]Closeup, station XX (KV1474), Easton, PA
Medium view, station XX (KV1474), Easton, PA
Yellow box highlights area of foundation where mark is located.
Area view, station XX (KV1474), Easton, PA
Yellow box highlight location of station in this view of the forbidding-looking Northampton County Jail. View is looking to the southeast; the county courthouse is out of frame to the right and behind the photographer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|Unknown by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|1/1/1956 by CGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1956
AT EASTON. AT EASTON, NEAR THE COUNTY COURTHOUSE, AT THE COUNTY JAIL, ON TOP OF THE SOUTH STONE FOUNDATION AND AT THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE BUILDING, 1.4 FEET SOUTH OF THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE BUILDING. NOTE- THE CHISELED SQUARE IS FLANKED BY THE LETTERING USBM XX.
|1/1/1984 by USPSQD (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1984
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.