Details for Benchmark: KV1497
N 40° 34.517 W 075° 28.600 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In LEHIGH county, PA View Original Datasheet
- RV 3 RDGRR
- Marker Type:
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Team Philsey marked KV1497 as destroyed
I feel confident in stating that this benchmark is gone. It was monumented in 1932 and first recovered in 1934. However, it hasn't been documented since then. It combed the area where it should be, and there are no towers or old concrete footings around. The description of its supposed location is pretty clear. There isn't much room for doubt.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1932 by RDGRR (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1932
1.5 MI SW FROM ALLENTOWN. 1.5 MILES SOUTHWEST ALONG THE READING CO. RAILROAD FROM ALLENTOWN, LEHIGH COUNTY, 0.4 MILE SOUTHWEST OF THE MACK TRUCK CO. PLANT, ABOUT 200 YARDS SOUTHWEST OF A COUNTY-ROAD CROSSING, AT THE STORAGE PLANT OF THE SUN OIL CO., AND IN THE TOP OF THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE CONCRETE BASE OF SEMAPHORE 49. A STANDARD MONEL-METAL RIVET WITHIN A CHISELED SQUARE.
|01/01/1932 by CGS (GOOD)
|01/01/1934 by CGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.