Details for Benchmark: LC1743
N 40° 04.877 W 088° 14.094 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is UNKNOWN and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In CHAMPAIGN county, IL View Original Datasheet
- CHAMPAIGN RAD STA WILL E TWR
- Marker Type:
- radio/tv tower
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||seppo21 found LC1743
Apparently the paved portion of first street has been extended since the original description was made.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1959 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1959 (RWE)
THE STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 1-1/2 MILES SOUTH OF THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS FOOTBALL STADIUM.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM S. FIRST STREET AND PEABODY AVE., JUST NORTHWEST OF THE UNIVERSITY STADIUM, GO SOUTH ON S. FIRST STREET FOR 0.4 MILE TO A T INTERSECTION, MAKE A QUICK JOG TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT, GO SOUTH ON THE DIRT ROAD FOR 0.9 MILE TO THE TOWER IN THE OPEN FIELD ON THE LEFT.
THE STATION IS THE TOP OF THE EAST ONE OF TWO TOWERS. THE TOWER IS 340 FEET HIGH AND IS PAINTED RED AND WHITE. THE TOWER IS 3 LEGGED AND IS SELF SUPPORTING. IT HAS A RED FLASHING LIGHT ON THE TOP.
|01/01/1960 by CGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1960 (CWM)
RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED IN THE LITHOGRAPH LIST DATED JULY 1960, STATION NUMBER 1035, QUAD BOOK 400882.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in October 1999.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.