Details for Benchmark: LY1152
N 41° 21.300 W 075° 06.133 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In PIKE county, PA View Original Datasheet
- F 237
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- in a boulder
- May hold, but of type commonly subject to surface motion.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Rich in NEPA found LY1152
N 41° 21.298 W 075° 06.142
[B]Recovered in good condition.[/B]
This second order vertical control station is set in the top of a 4 foot by 2 foot by 15 inch high outcropping boulder that is partially enveloped by the base of a 2-foot diameter oak tree. It is on property owned by the Blooming Grove Hunting & Fishing Club. The historical description was sufficiently helpful in finding the station, however the to-reach directions have changed slightly since I-84 was constructed. From Rt. 402 in Blooming Grove travel 1.1 miles east on Blooming Grove Road to the entrance of the Blooming Grove Hunting & Fishing Club (there is a small stone pavilion on the left) and the east-most of two private gravel roads on the right (south). Travel southerly for 1.13 miles, passing under both lanes of the Interstate highway, to the second gravel road on the left, then south for 0.18 miles to the mark on the left. The station is 43 feet east of the centerline of the road. At the station a Garmin GPSmap76 receiver with remote active antenna was used to record autonomous (non-corrected) coordinates which were roughly 42.8 feet from the scaled coordinates listed in the NGS datasheet. The mark is well exposed, in good condition, and the stamped designation is legible.
~Rich in NEPA~
[Photos:]LY1152, "F 237 1959," Pike County, PA.
GPSr and the station mark.
Eyelevel view of station mark and setting.
Orientation view, east to station (indicated).
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1959 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1959
10.8 MI SE FROM HAWLEY. 8.5 MILE SOUTHEAST OF HAWLEY TO THE GOOD SHEPHERD CHURCH, THENCE 1.2 MILE EAST ALONG A BLACKTOP ROAD TO THE BLOOMING GROVE H. AND F. CLUB, THENCE SOUTH 1.1 MILE ON THE EAST MOST OF TWO PRIVATE ROADS ACROSS FROM THE ENTRANCE TO THE CLUB. SET IN TOP CENTER OF A SMALL BOULDER WHICH IS UNDER AND ENVELOPED BY THE ROOTS OF A 1 1/2 FOOT OAK TREE, 32 FEET EAST OF THE CENTERLINE OF A GRAVEL ROAD, 2 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND, EAST AND ACROSS THE ROAD FROM A ROAD TO A CLEARING, 0.05 MILE NORTH OF A ROAD JUNCTION. NOTE-- THIS BM IS AT THE EAST END OF A WALK THROUGH ALONG A TRAIL.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.