Details for Benchmark: LY1337
N 41° 24.950 W 075° 39.433 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In LACKAWANNA county, PA View Original Datasheet
- A 56
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Lunatic728 couldn't find LY1337
No joy on this too. The base looks to be a little bit newer than the tower.
||Zhanna couldn't find LY1337
I spotted this tower on my way to an appointment this morning, and thought “That would be a good spot for a benchmark.” I guess I was right! Of course, when I went back later in the evening to look, I couldn't find the disk. Aaron and I searched all around the base of the tower but there was no evidence that a disk had ever been there. It's possible that there may have been a concrete platform that extended out from the sides of the tower, on which the benchmark disk was placed; if this ever existed, it's been removed.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1934 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1942 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1942
AT SCRANTON. AT SCRANTON, LACKAWANNA COUNTY, ON THE DELAWARE AND HUDSON RAILROAD, 125 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE CULKINS BRAKE SERVICE CO. ONE-STORY BRICK GARAGE, 35 FEET NORTH OF THE CENTERLINE OF WYOMING AVENUE, 30 FEET WEST OF THE CENTERLINE OF GIBSON STREET, AT A WATCHMANS TOWER, IN THE CENTER OF THE NORTH SIDE OF THE BASE, 22 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE MAIN TRACK, AND LEVEL WITH THE TOP OF THE RAIL. A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED A 56 1934.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.