Details for Benchmark: LY1548
N 41° 03.850 W 075° 57.817 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In LUZERNE county, PA View Original Datasheet
- R 228
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||cache4Him found LY1548
A little trying for our first attempt, very interesting.
||the existential outlaw found LY1548
The sun was setting, so it took longer than I expected, based on the previous logs.
the existential outlaw
||brub2 found LY1548
Zhanna's comments were helpful in finding this disk. I too had to scrape away leaves and dirt, but found the mark as described.
When I got down close, I could see the R 228 clearly. I also found I was carrying a tick when I got up - looks like a bad year for them.
||Zhanna found LY1548
N 41° 03.861 W 075° 57.821
I was right across the street two days ago looking for the I80/I81 Travel Bug Hotel cache, but I didn't have the benchmark printout with me. Went back today and found it pretty easily (lots of dirt and leaves covered it, but it was right where the description specified). The marker itself looks to be in decent condition, but it's difficult to tell. The catch basin grate rests right on top of it! The Stage Coach Inn still exists and it appears interesting, if somewhat otherworldly.
[Photos:]LY1548, Luzerne County, PA
The catch basin and the inn...
The marker can be found on the concrete wall of the basin just below the grate (behind the garbage bag). That's the Inn in the background.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1959 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1959
4 MI NE FROM ST JOHN. 1 MILE EAST ON A BLACK TOP ROAD FROM THE ST. JOHN LUTHERAN CHURCH IN ST. JOHN, THENCE 2.75 MILE NORTH EAST ON A BLACK TOP ROAD TO THE JUNCTION OF BLACK TOP ROAD AND U.S. HY. 309, THENCE 0.1 MILE NORTH EAST ON U.S. 309, SET IN TOP CENTER OF THE SOUTH EAST SIDE OF A 5 FOOT BY 5 FOOT CATCH BASIN, 24 FEET NORTH EAST OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE DRIVE TO THE STAGE COACH INN, ABOUT 50 YARDS NORTH OF THE STAGE COACH INN, 40 FEET NORTH WEST OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE HIGHWAY AND ABOUT 1 FOOT BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE ROAD.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.