Details for Benchmark: LY1560
N 41° 23.983 W 075° 39.000 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In LACKAWANNA county, PA View Original Datasheet
- T 288
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- massive structures
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||hollybeth76 found LY1560
I'm not sure if we should have driven back the road but we did. I didn't feel like walking it. It's amazing that with the talent the graffiti artist have that they probably aren't doing something more productive with their lives. The creek below is beautiful. There is a cement slab that you can climb down to that you can get a great picture. My son almost fell off so be careful!
[Photos:]LY1560- Scranton, PA 2
LY1560- Scranton, PA 1
||Lunatic728 found LY1560
Found this one today under an inch of Graffiti that somebody had scraped away.
Found one that the usgs didn't.
||Lunatic728 couldn't find LY1560
US Highway 11 now is at the central Scranton Express way onto Pittston ave. This is the Harrison Ave. Bridge location I don't know if US 11 was ever routed over this bridge? I could not find an old map to confirm this. There was at the time the marker was placed a couple of Train Stations in Scranton. I just can't beleave that the cords would be off .6 miles though.
The cords are about 350' North from the location of the bridge anyhow.
I will try again to see if I can find a hole where a BM was, but I will need a scraper to peal away the graphiti.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1961 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1961
IN SCRANTON. 0.6 MILE SOUTHERLY ALONG THE DELAWARE LACKAWANNA AND WESTERN RAILROAD FROM THE RAILROAD STATION AT SCRANTON, SET VERTICALLY IN THE SOUTH WEST FACE OF THE ABUTMENT FOR THE BRIDGE OF U.S. HWY 11 OVER TRACKS, 8 FEET NORTH WEST OF THE SOUTH EAST END OF THE ABUTMENT, 13 FEET NORTH EAST OF THE NORTH EAST RAIL, ABOUT 4 FEET ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE GROUND, ABOUT LEVEL WITH THE RAIL, STANDARD BENCH MARK DISK DRILLED IN VERTICAL, STAMPED T 288 1961.
|12/30/1994 by USGS (MARK NOT FOUND)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1994 (DH)
MARK NOT FOUND.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.