Details for Benchmark: MB1869
N 41° 32.732 W 080° 29.706 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In CRAWFORD county, PA View Original Datasheet
- Marker Type:
- NGS Benchmark
- setting not listed - see description
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Algoma! marked MB1869 as destroyed
Went out with Vegy this evening to seek this in more detail. Coordinates led us to the same picnic table. We walked inland into the woodline and found nothing but eager mosquitos. We noticed that the shoreline of the lake has been steadily eroding. We concluded that the station and its underground mark have been destroyed by the gnawing of the lake.
[last edit: 6/20/2003 9:32:52 PM PST]
||Algoma! couldn't find MB1869
As with the other location today, I stood at the proper coordinates, but could see no monument. That doesn't mean it isn't there. I could have done more exploring, but there were many workmen around pumping lovely sewage from the the park restrooms. Yeeeech!
[last edit: 5/7/2003 4:50:21 PM PST]
[Photos:]Darnit, no monument!
My GPS says the monument should be under that picnic table!
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1941 by PADFW (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY PA DEPT FORESTS WTRS 1941
REACHED FROM WESTFORD BY GOING DUE W FOR 0.7 MILE, THENCE DUE S FOR 0.7 MILE TO A T-INTERSECTION OF ROAD.
THE STATION IS IN FIELD TO THE SW, APPROXIMATELY 1/4 MILE DISTANT, AND ABOUT 200 FEET INSHORE.
THE STATION IS MARKED WITH A PA. COORDINATE SYSTEM BRONZE TABLET, SET IN THE TOP OF A 6- BY 6- BY 42-INCH CONCRETE MONUMENT, THE TOP OF WHICH PROTRUDES 6 INCHES ABOVE GROUND LEVEL.
THE SUBSURFACE MARK IS A CONCRETE SLAB 8 INCHES SQUARE AND 3 INCHES THICK WITH 1/4-INCH COPPER PIN FOR CENTER.
THIS STATION WAS NOT OCCUPIED AND WAS OBSERVED ON FROM STATIONS BLACK AND BANK (W.S.C.) ONLY, AN ECCENTRIC COMPUTATION BEING NECESSARY TO CONVERT THE DIRECTION TO STATION NORTH BANK.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in April 1998.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.) The vertical order pertains to the superseded datum.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.