Details for Benchmark: MY2398
N 42° 21.609 W 071° 02.868 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In SUFFOLK county, MA View Original Datasheet
- LONG WHARF
- Marker Type:
- NGS Benchmark
- setting not listed - see description
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||NorStar marked MY2398 as destroyed
Destroyed per the description. The wharf area has changed considerably. A stone plaza, almost complete, covers this part of the wharf, east of the old Custom House.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1978 by MAGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY MASSACHUSETTS GEODETIC SURVEY 1978 (WJK)
THE STATION IS ABOUT 0.9 KM (0.5 MI) EAST OF BOSTON CITY HALL AND ABOUT 2.6 KM (1.6 MI) NORTH OF SOUTH BOSTON. OWNERSHIP--CITY OF BOSTON HARBOR DIVISION.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM BOSTON CITY HALL, GO EAST ON STATE STREET ABOUT 0.9 KM (0.5 MI) TO LONGWHARF AND THE STATION.
THE STATION IS MARKED BY A PUNCH MARK AND CHISELED TRIANGLE ABOUT 2 CM ON A SIDE, IN A SAWED OFF STEEL I COLUMN IN A CONCRETE MOUND ABOUT 67 CM IN DIAMETER AND ABOUT 4 CM ABOVE THE CONCRETE DECK ON THE EASTERLY END OF LONGWHARF, IN THE NORTHEAST PART OF THE CITY OF BOSTON ALONG THE WEST EDGE OF BOSTON INNER HARBOR, NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF STATE STREET AND ATLANTIC AVENUE. IT IS 26.64 METERS (87.4 FT) NORTHEAST OF THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF RED BRICK BUILDING AT THE WEST END OF DECK AND 17.92 METERS (58.8 FT) SOUTHEAST OF CROSS CUT IN MANHOLE RIM AND 17.68 METERS (58.0 FT) NORTHEAST OF EAST GATE POST OF CHAIN LINK FENCE ON SOUTH SIDE OF WHARF AND 14.84 METERS (48.7 FT) NORTHWEST OF FENCE ANGLE POST AT SOUTHEAST CORNER OF WHARF.
HEIGHT OF LIGHT SHOWN WAS 1.5 METERS ABOVE THE MARK.
DESCRIBED BY W.J.KENNEDY, MAGS. 870701 THE STATION WAS DESTROYED BY A BUILDING IN THE AREA.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1998.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.