Details for Benchmark: MY2439
N 42° 21.096 W 071° 05.421 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In SUFFOLK county, MA View Original Datasheet
- Marker Type:
- traverse station disk
- set into the top of a round concrete monument
- May hold, but of type commonly subject to surface motion.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1987 by MAGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY MASSACHUSETTS GEODETIC SURVEY 1987 (WJK)
THE STATION IS ABOUT 2.9 KM (1.8 MI) SOUTHWEST OF BOSTON CITY HALL AND ABOUT 2.1 KM (1.3 MI) SOUTHEAST OF CAMBRIDGE CITY HALL. OWNERSHIP--CITY OF BOSTON STREET DEPARTMENT.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE STATE CAPITOL IN BOSTON, GO SOUTHWEST ON BEACON STREET ABOUT 1.0 KM (0.6 MI) TO BERKLEY STREET. TURN RIGHT AND GO NORTH ABOUT 0.1 KM (0.1 MI) TO STORROW DRIVE. TURN LEFT AND GO WEST ON STORROW DRIVE ABOUT 1.3 KM (0.7 MI) TO THE STATION ON THE LEFT.
THE STATION IS MARKED BY A MAGS DISK STAMPED---SMOOTS---, AND SET IN THE TOP OF A SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT 13 CM ON A SIDE AT GRADE ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF STORROW DRIVE IN THE BACK BAY AREA OF THE CITY OF BOSTON.IT IS 13.50 METERS (44.29 FT) WEST OF A CROSS CUT IN THE RIM OF A MAN HOLE AND 10.15 METERS (33.29 FT) NORTH OF A BRASS PIN IN LEAD AT THE WEST END OF A CONCRETE RETAINING WALL WITH IRON RAILING.
HEIGHT OF LIGHT SHOWN WAS 1.5 METERS ABOVE THE MARK.
DESCRIBED BY W.J.KENNEDY, MAGS. 870707-RECOVERED, DISK REMOVED FROM MONUMENT, DRILL HOLE VISABLE STATION STILL GOOD. D.C. AHERN, MAGS.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1998.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.