Details for Benchmark: OA0931
N 42° 20.634 W 124° 09.928 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is UNKNOWN and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In CURRY county, OR View Original Datasheet
- SNOW CAMP LOOKOUT TOWER
- Marker Type:
- NGS Benchmark
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1942 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1942 (JCS)
LOOKOUT IS ON SNOW CAMP MOUNTAIN AND IS ON THE SAME POINT AS THE TRIANGULATION STATION SNOW CAMP 1942. LOOKOUT IS ABOUT 14 MILES, AIR LINE, SE OF GOLD BEACH, 13 MILES ENE OF PISTOL RIVER POST OFFICE, 15-1/2 MILES SSW OF AGNESS, AND IS ON THE HIGHEST POINT IN THIS VICINITY, OVERLOOKING ALL THE AREA TO THE SW AND N. THERE ARE SOME HIGHER PEAKS TO THE NE AND E.
LOOKOUT IS A 14- BY 14-FOOT STRUCTURE, RESTING ON THE GROUND, AND IS ABOUT 15 FEET HIGH. THE ROOF IS CONICAL SHAPED WITH A LIGHTNING ROD TERMINATING AT ITS APEX. THE LIGHTNING ROD IS CONSIDERED TO BE THE CENTER OF THE LOOKOUT. THE BUILDING IS PAINTED A GREY COLOR, AND HAS GLASS WINDOWS ALL AROUND.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in October 1991.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.