Details for Benchmark: OM0542
N 43° 36.500 W 089° 47.450 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In SAUK county, WI View Original Datasheet
- W 109
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||P.T. Barnum marked OM0542 as destroyed
This benchmark is most likely destroyed. No evidence exists of a structure as described or an adaptation of the structure. An exhaustive serch leads me to believe this and similar structures fell victim of the widening and improving of U.S. Highway 12. It appears that a system of drainage catchment basins and below ground drainage pipes replaced a former open culvert and drainage system. The Tavern referenced in the description is also gone.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1934 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934
1.2 MI N FROM DELTON. ALONG U.S. HIGHWAY 12 AT THE FOOT OF A LONG SLOPE. SET IN THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE EAST HEADWALL OF 3 FOOT BY 3 FOOT CONCRETE CULVERT, 150 FEET SOUTH OF TAVERN, 24 FEET EAST OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE HIGHWAY, IN LINE WITH TELEPHONE LINE, 1 FOOT BELOW ROAD LEVEL.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.