Details for Benchmark: PE0305
N 44° 15.133 W 068° 21.333 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In HANCOCK county, ME View Original Datasheet
- K 14
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- in rock outcrop
- Most reliable and expected to hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Papa-Bear-NYC couldn't find PE0305
We think we identified the residence 400 feet past the church, and there was an exposed rock ledge in the front yard. There was a cat (lawn ornament) on it. It looked a bit small for the mark to be 3 feet from the hight point, so the mark may be under the lawn. We did not attempt to find it or to knock on the door to ask about it.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1934 by USGS (MONUMENTED)
|1/1/1962 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1962
0.3 MI W FROM TREMONT. 0.3 MILE WEST ON STATE HIGHWAY 102 FROM THE TREMONT CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL OR 2.9 MILES SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST ON HIGHWAY 102 FROM THE POST OFFICE AT SOUTHWEST HARBOR. SET IN A DRILL HOLE IN THE TOP OF A ROCK OUTCROP IN THE YARD OF A RESIDENCE, 400 FEET WEST OF THE TREMONT CHURCH, 72 FEET WEST OF THE WEST CORNER OF HOUSE, 66 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER LINE OF HIGHWAY 102, 4 FEET SOUTH OF THE HIGHEST POINT ON THE ROCK AND 3 FEET ABOVE THE HIGHWAY.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.