Details for Benchmark: PE0321
N 44° 20.783 W 068° 22.717 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In HANCOCK county, ME View Original Datasheet
- K 17
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- in rock outcrop
- Most reliable and expected to hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Zhanna found PE0321
Please see the complete recovery, including text and photos, at my website: [b][url=http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/surveymarks/pe0321/]PE0321 - K 17[/url][/b].
This entry was edited by Zhanna on Friday, 07 December 2012 at 02:54:41 UTC.
||Graceswh found PE0321
This benchmark is on the left side of the road as described by PapaBearNYC. I think it's the Southeast side of the road. There is a witness sign as well as a sign posting that it's the ANP boundary line. K 17 is on the highest part of the very moss covered rock. The disc itself is moss-free. Poles 61 and 62 are still numbered correctly despite road upgrades.
||Papa-Bear-NYC found PE0321
Found as described in good condition.
Go southwest on Route 102 over the outlet of Round Pond into Long Pond, drive to the top of the hill and park. The mark is at the high point to the left (northeast) of the road. (Note the highest point in the woods is southwest of the highest point of the road). Enter the woods between utility poles 61 and 62.
[This entry was edited by Papa-Bear-NYC on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 at 1:03:29 PM.]
[Photos:]PE0321 "K 17" location, Acadia National Park, ME
View from across Route 102 of the area.
PE0321 "K 17" location, Acadia National Park, ME
View from above the mark looking back towards the road.
PE0321 "K 17", Acadia National Park, ME
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1934 by USGS (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1962 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1962
3 MI SW FROM SOMESVILLE. 3.0 MILES SOUTHWEST ON STATE HIGHWAY 102 FROM THE GRADE SCHOOL AT SOMESVILLE. SET IN THE TOP AT THE HIGHEST POINT OF A ROCK OUTCROP AT THE TOP OF A HILL. 50 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF HIGHWAY 102 AND 10 FEET ABOVE THE HIGHWAY.
|01/01/1987 by USPSQD (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1987 (ELG)
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.