Details for Benchmark: PE1897
N 44° 15.954 W 068° 18.572 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is UNKNOWN and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In HANCOCK county, ME View Original Datasheet
- SOUTHWEST HARBOR CHURCH SPIRE
- Marker Type:
- NGS Benchmark
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|Unknown by (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1934 by CGS (SEE DESCRIPTION)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 (KGC)
ACCORDING TO LOCAL RESIDENTS THIS CHURCH HAS REMAINED UNCHANGED FOR OVER 100 YEARS. IT IS THE UNION CHURCH AND HAS A SQUARE BELFRY AND TALL WHITE SPIRE. NO OBSERVATIONS WERE TAKEN ON THE CHURCH IN 1934.
|01/01/1944 by CGS (SEE DESCRIPTION)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1944 (FLP)
STATION RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION AS DESCRIBED BY K.G.C. IN 1934, EXCEPT IT IS IN MANSET INSTEAD OF SOUTHWEST HARBOR.
ACCORDING TO LOCAL INFORMATION, THE SPIRE HAS NOT BEEN CHANGED SINCE 1863.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in March 1998.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.