Details for Benchmark: PY1262
N 44° 39.592 W 110° 51.505 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In TETON county, WY View Original Datasheet
- Marker Type:
- triangulation station disk
- in rock outcrop
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1950 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1950 (EBL)
STATION IS ON A HIGH RIDGE NORTH OF THE MADISON RIVER. 12 MILES EAST OF WEST YELLOWSTONE. AND 1.5 MILES NORTH OF THE MADISON JUNCTION RANGER STATION. IT IS ABOUT 1 MILE EAST OF THE HIGHEST POINT KNOWN AS PURPLE MOUNTAIN, 68 FEET SOUTH OF THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE PURPLE MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT HOUSE. STATION IS A BRONZE DISK SET IN BEDROCK THAT IS 6 INCHES BELOW THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND. THE DISK IS STAMPED PURPLE 1950.
REFERENCE MARK NO. 1 IS A STANDARD BRONZE DISK SET FLUSH IN BEDROCK AND THE DISK IS STAMPED PURPLE NO 1 1950.
REFERENCE MARK NO. 2 IS A STANDARD BRONZE DISK SET FLUSH IN BEDROCK AND THE DISK IS STAMPED PURPLE NO 2 1950.
TO REACH FROM THE ROAD INTERSECTION AT MADISON JUNCTION. GO NORTHEAST FOR 0.35 MILE TO A DIRT ROAD ON THE LEFT, TURN LEFT ON DIRT ROAD FOR 0.25 MILE TO AN OLD GRAVEL PIT AND THE END OF TRUCK TRAVEL. FROM HERE FOLLOW THE WINDING TRAIL TO THE TOP AND THE LOOKOUT HOUSE AND STATION. A 2-HOUR PACK.
|1/1/1955 by USGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1955
STATION MARK--BRONZE DISK, SET IN BEDROCK THAT IS 6 IN. BELOW THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND, STAMPED ---PURPLE 1950---.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in January 1997.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.