Details for Benchmark: QE2589
N 44° 07.458 W 124° 00.780 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is UNKNOWN and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In LANE county, OR View Original Datasheet
- HERMAN PEAK WOODED SUMMIT
- Marker Type:
- NGS Benchmark
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1903 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|1/1/1936 by USFS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY US FOREST SERVICE 1936
THIS INTERSECTED POSITION IS THAT OF THE HIGHEST WOODED SUMMIT OF HERMAN PEAK, ELEVATION 2,085 FEET, HIGHEST POINT ON CLOVER RIDGE, 15 MILES NORTHEAST OF FLORENCE. TO REACH FROM FLORENCE, GO NORTH ON OREGON COAST HIGHWAY 8.3 MILES TO FOREST ROAD EAST, FOLLOW SIGNS 9 MILES TO LOOKOUT AND STATION. IN 1936 IT WAS REPORTED THAT THERE WAS A U.S. FOREST SURVEY LOOKOUT TOWER ON THIS SUMMIT, POSITION OF WHICH WAS DETERMINED BY U.S. FOREST SERVICE IN THAT YEAR, AND MARKED BY U.S. FOREST SERVICE DISK UNDER CENTER OF TOWER. TOWER IS CLOSE TO POINT DETERMINED BY INTERSECTION IN 1903. IN 1936 SUMMIT REPORTED NO LONGER WOODED, BUT BURNED OVER.
|9/5/1994 by USPSQD (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1994
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in October 1991.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.