Skip to Content

Details for Benchmark: QH0620

N 45° 04.953 W 071° 36.060 (NAD 83)

Altitude: 2861

Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)

Location:
In COOS county, NH View Original Datasheet
Designation:
HEREFORD
Marker Type:
bolt
Setting:
in rock outcrop
Stability:
Most reliable and expected to hold position/elevation well.

Reference Points

Must Read!

Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.

On Tuesday on the way home, we decided we would go for this station on a nearby Mountain in Quebec. This station was used as a triangulation station in the 1915-1919 survey of the boundary, but it was an already recently established mark of the Geodetic Survey of Canada and it was (and is) a first order station so it served to "anchor" the west end of the Highlands and the halls Stream monuments to the North American Datum,. established by both the US and Canada at that time. Pole Hill (see This Log), serves the same purpose of anchoring the North Line and the head of the St. Croix River to the North American Datum.

To see the triangulation scheme superimposed on the boundary in this section, bring up the map at this link: Map Link. One look at that map and you will see that Station Hereford was pivotal for the entire west section of the triangulation.

We drove through Canadian Customs and finally arrived at a logging yard on the north side of the mountain. But upon arriving we discovered that the mountain had been opened up with a new road (constructed in 2002) and signage (in two languages). It seems the top of the mountain had been dedicated to one Neil Tollitson a native son and American Businessman (he owned the Balsams Hotel in Dixville Notch).

So up we drove to the summit on a very hilly dirt road. We of course felt a little guilty for not hiking up, but we got over it . At the summit we saw a couple of potentially bad signs: a huge radio tower on one side and a concrete pavilion with tourist information on the other side. We had visions that a non descript copper bolt might have gotten obliterated by these recent "improvements" to the summit area. But we soon found what we thought was our station plus two of the reference marks off to the side of the pavilion.

The station bolt was the first to be spotted. Close inspection showed that it was surrounded by an 8 inch triangle in the rock and on very close inspection showed the bolt was actually stamped "GCS 1909" (both as per the description). There were also signs of the small concrete cube mounted over the station in 1930 (what were they thinking?). Two holes near the station, one with piece or rebar in it is evidently all that's left of that attempt to "improve" the mark.

A word on the data sheet and the reference marks. The sheet lists 3 marks which for some reason it lists as #2, #3 and #4. Furthermore the directions and distances seemed to be mixed up: the #2 had #3 distance and #1's azimuth. It wasn't till I got home that I realized they had just got it wrong when the data was entered. I found the original description of the station as published in the report of the IBC for the 1915 survey. It seems the data sheet left out the original description of the reference bolts. This description is reproduced in the last photo. It was as follows:

The point is referenced by three three-fourths inch bolts leaded in the rock at the following azimuths and distances from the station: Bolt No.1, azimuth 172° 01' 58", distance 9.7 feet; bolt No.2, azimuth 255° 45' 38", distance 11.35 feet; bolt No.3, azimuth 11° 25' 43", distance 8.71 feet.

Taking into account the azimuths are with respect to South (you must add 180°) you will see the correct position of the 3 points and you will see just how they were mixed up on the data sheet. The measurements we found closely matched the original Bolt #2 and Bolt #3. We assume Bolt #1 has been covered by the recently added pavilion. A great find on a great day!

[This entry was edited by Papa-Bear-NYC on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 11:15:22 AM.]

[Photos:]
photoQH0620 HEREFORD Original Description
This description was published in the IBC report of the boundary survey of 1914-1919 published in 1923. The data on the reference bolts was left off the data sheet.
photoQH0620 HEREFORD RM3, Hereford Township, Quebec
Closeup of Reference Bolt #3
photoQH0620 HEREFORD, Hereford Township, Quebec
Reference Bolt #3
photoQH0620 HEREFORD RM3, Hereford Township, Quebec
Area view of Reference Bolt #3
photoQH0620 HEREFORD RM2, Hereford Township, Quebec
Closeup of reference Bolt #2
photoQH0620 HEREFORD RM2, Hereford Township, Quebec
Reference Bolt #2
photoQH0620 HEREFORD RM2, Hereford Township, Quebec
Area view of Reference Bolt #2
photoQH0620 HEREFORD, Hereford Township, Quebec
Closeup of station mark. Note the stamping "GSC 1909".
photoQH0620 HEREFORD, Hereford Township, Quebec
View showing the outline of the 8" triangle around the mark. The triangle is outlined in the photo. The two other holes are the remnant of the 1930 concrete cube.
photoQH0620 HEREFORD, Hereford Township, Quebec
View showing the outline of the 8" triangle around the mark.
photoQH0620 HEREFORD, Hereford Township, Quebec
Area view of station mark.
photoQH0620 HEREFORD, Hereford Township, Quebec
View of the area showing the pavilion and the station on a rock outcrop to one side.

Documented History (by the NGS)

01/01/1909 by GSC (MONUMENTED)
DESCRIBED BY GEODETIC SURVEY OF CANADA 1909 (JDG) IN HEREFORD TOWNSHIP, ABOUT 5 MILES NORTH OF THE INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY AND 6-1/2 MILES NW OF BEECHER FALLS, VERMONT. IT IS ON AN OUTCROP ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF A HILL COVERED (IN JUNE 1909) WITH THICK BURNED TIMBER AND A THIN SOIL. PROBABLY ON LOT 21, BETWEEN CONCESSIONS V AND VI. STATION MARK IS A 3/4-INCH COPPER BOLT SURROUNDED BY AN 8-INCH EQUILATERAL TRIANGLE. THE POINT IS REFERENCED BY 3 3/4-INCH BOLTS LEADED IN ROCK.
01/01/1959 by CGS (GOOD)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1959 (HRL) STATION WAS RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED AND ALL MARKS FOUND IN GOOD CONDITION. DUE TO CHANGES IN LAND MARKS AND ROAD NUMBERS, A COMPLETE NEW DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS. STATION IS LOCATED ON HEREFORD HILL ABOUT 7 MILES NORTHWEST OF CANAAN, VERMONT, ABOUT 5 MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF HEREFORD, QUEBEC, ABOUT 3-1/2 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF VILLETTE, QUEBEC AND ABOUT 5 MILES NORTH OF THE INTERNATIONAL BOUNDRY. STATION, A COPPER BOLT INSIDE OF AN 8 INCH TRIANGLE TRENCHED IN ROCK OUTCROP AND STAMPED GSC IS ON THE NORTHWEST AND HIGHEST POINT OF HEREFORD HILL AND 17 FEET SOUTHWEST OF A 10 INCH PINE TREE WITH TRIANGLE BLAZE. THE MARK PROJECTS 2 FEET. TO REACH FROM THE JUNCTION OF STATE HIGHWAYS NO. 102 AND 114 IN CANAAN, GO WESTERLY ON STATE HIGHWAY NO. 114 FOR 1.2 MILES TO FORKS. TAKE RIGHT FORK AND GO 0.5 MILE TO U.S.-CANADIAN CUSTOMS. CONTINUE NORTHERLY ON MAIN ROAD FOR 1.5 MILES TO SIDE ROAD RIGHT JUST BEFORE REACHING CROSSROADS. TURN RIGHT AND GO NORTHERLY ON GRAVEL ROAD FOR 2.35 MILES TO FORKS. TAKE RIGHT FORK AND CONTINUE NORTHERLY ON LOGGING ROAD FOR 1.35 MILES TO AN OLD LOGGING CAMP AND END OF TRUCK TRAVEL. BEAR LEFT AND PACK ALONG OLD LOGGING ROAD FOR ABOUT 0.2 MILE TO A DIM FOOT TRAIL RIGHT. BEAR RIGHT AND FOLLOW DIM FOOT TRAIL FOR ABOUT 0.2 MILE TO OLD LOGGING ROAD. FOLLOW OLD LOGGING ROAD FOR ABOUT 0.2 MILE TO END OF LOGGING ROAD. BEAR RIGHT AND FOLLOW TRAIL UP HILL FOR ABOUT 0.2 MILE TO TOP OF RIDGE. CONTINUE NORTHWESTERLY ALONG THE TOP OF RIDGE FOR ABOUT 0.4 MILE TO HIGHEST POINT OF HILL AND STATION AS DESCRIBED. REFERENCE MARK NO. 1, A COPPER BOLT SET IN A DRILLHOLE IN OUTCROPPING ROCK IS 8 FEET EAST OF A 10 INCH PINE TREE AND ABOUT 2 FEET LOWER THAN THE STATION. THE BOLT HAS NO STAMPING. REFERENCE MARK NO. 2, A COPPER BOLT SET IN A DRILLHOLE IN OUTCROPPING ROCK IS 24 FEET SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF A 10 INCH PINE TREE WITH TRIANGLE BLAZE AND ABOUT 2 FEET LOWER THAN THE STATION. THE MARK HAS NO STAMPING. REFERENCE MARK NO. 3, A COPPER BOLT SET IN A DRILLHOLE IN OUTCROPPING ROCK IS 15 FEET WEST OF A 10 INCH PINE TREE WITH TRIANGLE BLAZE AND 1 FOOT LOWER THAN THE STATION. THE MARK HAS NO STAMPING.
01/01/1971 by IBC (GOOD)
RECOVERY NOTE BY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY COMMISSION 1971 (NP) STATION WAS RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. NEW DESCRIPTION--LOCATED ON A ROCK OUTCROP ON THE SUMMIT OF HEREFORD MOUNTAIN, ON LOT 19, CONCESSION VI, HEREFORD TOWNSHIP. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE CHURCH IN ST-HERMENEGILDE PROCEED 3.2 MILES ON THE ROAD GOING EAST (RANGE 8), ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE ROAD THERE IS A LARGE FIELD AND A LUMBER TRAIL LEADING TO THE SUMMIT OF THE HILL STARTING FROM AN OPENING IN THE FENCE SOUTH OF THE FIELD. A TWENTY-FOOT TOWER WAS ERECTED OVER THE STATION. REFERENCED BY 3 COPPER BOLTS LEADED IN THE ROCK. STATION MARK--A 3/4 INCH COPPER BOLT SURROUNDED BY AN 8-INCH EQUILATERAL TRIANGLE. A SMALL CUBE OF CONCRETE WITH BRONZE TABLET WAS ERECTED OVER THE BOLT IN 1930.

Control Text

  • The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in May 1998.
  • The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.) The vertical order pertains to the superseded datum.
  • The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
  • The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.

Advertising with Us

Return to the Top of the Page