Details for Benchmark: QY0627
N 45° 27.545 W 113° 52.838 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is SCALED and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In LEMHI county, ID View Original Datasheet
- STEIN MOUNTAIN
- Marker Type:
- NGS Benchmark
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1945 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1945 (JCT)
THE STATION IS A U.S. FOREST SERVICE DISK CEMENTED IN A DRILL HOLE IN A 12- BY 18-INCH ROCK OUTCROP FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND AND STAMPED STEIN MOUNTAIN. IT IS LOCATED ABOUT 20 MILES N OF SALMON, ON TOP OF STEIN MOUNTAIN, AND AT THE SITE OF THE STEIN MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT CABIN WHICH IS ON THE W END OF THE MOUNTAIN. IT IS 71.27 FEET WNW OF TRIANGULATION STATION STEIN AND IS 19 FEET WSW OF THE SW CORNER OF THE LOOKOUT CABIN.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE POST OFFICE IN SALMON, GO N ON U.S. HIGHWAY 93 FOR 16.2 MILES TO A SIDE ROAD RIGHT (0.05 MILE AFTER CROSSING FOURTH OF JULY CREEK). TURN RIGHT AND FOLLOW THE MAIN-TRAVELED ROAD, KEEPING RIGHT AT ALL FORKS FOR 11.6 MILES TO A TRAIL ON THE RIGHT AND SIGN STEIN MTN. TRAIL. THIS IS THE END OF TRUCK TRAVEL. PROCEED ON FOOT, FOLLOWING THE TRAIL W TO THE LOOKOUT CABIN AND THE STATION AS DESCRIBED. THE PACK WILL REQUIRE ABOUT 1 HOUR.
CONNECTED BY TRAVERSE FROM TRIANGULATION STATION STEIN. DISTANCE - 71.27 FEET OR 21.723 METERS.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in July 1992.
- The orthometric height was scaled from a topographic map.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.