Details for Benchmark: QZ0626
N 45° 49.785 W 114° 30.693 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In IDAHO county, ID View Original Datasheet
- WATCHTOWER 2
- Marker Type:
- NGS Benchmark
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1958 by USFS (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1965 by USGS (SEE DESCRIPTION)
|DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1965
LOCATED ON THE CREST OF THE BITTERROOT RANGE (THE IDAHO-MONTANA BOUNDARY), SEPARATING WATCHTOWER CREEK TO THE SOUTHEAST AND COOPER CREEK TO THE NW., IN THE SW 1/4 SEC. 18, T. 1N., R. 23W.
STATION REACHED BY HELICOPTER.
TO REACH FROM WEST FORK RANGER STATION, FOLLOW RD. W. UP NEZPERCE FORK FOR 14.5 MI. TO WATCHTOWER CREEK, THEN TAKE TRAIL FOR APPROXIMATELY 9 MI. TO TOP OF DIVIDE, AND FOLLOW THE DIVIDE NORTHEASTERLY FOR 2 MI. TO THE HIGHEST POINT OF THE ROCKY PEAK AND STATION.
THIS SITE WAS OCCUPIED AND A BRONZE TABLET WAS SET, SURMOUNTED BY A 7 FT. CAIRN, BY THE USFS IN 1926. THE 1958 SURVEY PARTY TORE THE CAIRN APART BUT WAS UNABLE TO LOCATE THE TABLET.
STATION MARK--STANDARD USFS BRASS CAP STAMPED---WATCHTOWER 1958---, SET IN ROCK AT THE APPROXIMATE CENTER OF THE CAIRN.
NO REFERENCE MARKS WERE SET.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in July 1992.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.