Details for Benchmark: QZ0706
N 45° 01.117 W 115° 39.774 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In VALLEY county, ID View Original Datasheet
- WILLIAMS PEAK LOOKOUT HOUSE
- Marker Type:
- lookout house
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1947 by USGS (FIRST OBSERVED)
|DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1947
LOCATED ABOUT 4.5 MI. NE. OF KRASSEL RANGER STATION AND ABOUT 2.5 MI. ENE. OF JUNCTION OF S. FORK AND E. FORK OF S. FORK OF SALMON RIVER, ON ROUNDED TOP.
TO REACH FROM SOUTH FORK GUARD STATION, TAKE S. FORK TRAIL UP THE E. SIDE OF S. FORK SALMON RIVER, AT WILLEY RANCH TRAIL FORKS AND LEFT FORK GOES UP SHEEP CREEK TOWARD PARKS PEAK, TAKE RIGHT FORK ACROSS SHEEP CREEK AND UP STEEP SLOPE TO TOP AND STATION. (THIS IS ONE DAY HORSE PACK, HORSE FEED AND WATER AVAILABLE AT RESERVOIR CREEK ABOUT 2.0 MI. N. OF WILLEY RANCH. CAMPING SPOT AVAILABLE AT WILLIAMS AND ABOUT 3.0 MI. E. OF WILLIAMS AT HEAD OF DEAD MAN CREEK.) (STATION CAN ALSO BE REACHED BY TRAIL UP DEAD MAN CREEK FROM EAST FORK OF S. FORK OF SALMON RIVER.)
STATION MARK--CENTER OF U.S. FOREST SERVICE LOOKOUT HOUSE. LIGHTNING ROD TIP ON APEX SIGHTED AS CENTER.
|01/01/1966 by CGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1966 (CAA)
STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 4.5 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE KRASSEL RANGER STATION AND 2.5 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF THE JUNCTION OF THE SOUTH FORK AND EAST FORK OF THE SOUTH FORK OF THE SALMON RIVER.
TO REACH FROM THE SOUTH FORK GUARD STATION, TAKE THE SOUTH FORK TRAIL UP THE EAST SIDE OF THE SOUTH FORK OF THE SALMON RIVER. AT WILLEY RANCH TRAIL FORK AND LEFT FORK GOES UP SHEEP CREEK TOWARDS PARKS PEAK. TAKE THE RIGHT FORK ACROSS SHEEP CREEK AND GO UP STEEP SLOPE TO THE HIGHEST POINT AND THE STATION. THIS IS A 1 DAY HORSE PACK.
THE POINT INTERSECTED WAS THE TOP-CENTER OF THE LOOKOUT.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in July 1992.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.