Details for Benchmark: SB1110
N 46° 15.445 W 120° 45.202 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is UNKNOWN and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In YAKIMA county, WA View Original Datasheet
- SATUS PEAK LOOKOUT
- Marker Type:
- lookout house
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1941 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1941 (JCS)
A U.S.I.S. FIRE LOOKOUT HOUSE, LOCATED ON TOP OF SATUS PEAK, AT THE W END OF THE TOPPENISH MOUNTAINS AND THE HIGHEST PEAK IN THE RANGE. THIS RANGE OF MOUNTAINS EXTENDS ALONG THE S SIDE OF TOPPENISH VALLEY. BY AIR LINE DISTANCES THE STATION IS APPROXIMATELY 23 MILES WSW OF TOPPENISH AND 10 MILES S OF WHITE SWAN.
THE STATION IS A HOUSE 10 FEET SQUARE, WITH A PYRAMIDAL ROOF, THE PEAK OF WHICH IS 12 FEET HIGH AND IS THE CENTER OF THE BUILDING. THE SIDES OF THE HOUSE ARE GREY AND THE ROOF IS PAINTED GREEN. AN ANEMOMETER IS MOUNTED ON A POLE AT THE SW CORNER OF THE HOUSE, AND A LOW ROCK WALL STANDS ALONG THE EDGE OF THE BLUFF ABOUT 15 FEET SW OF THE HOUSE. THE CENTER OF THE LOOKOUT HOUSE WAS OBSERVED.
THIS INTERSECTION STATION IS VISIBLE FROM ALL HIGH POINTS IN THE VICINITY, AND FROM MOST OF TOPPENISH VALLEY.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in December 1991.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.