Details for Benchmark: TT3759
N 70° 22.733 W 148° 31.917 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In county, AK View Original Datasheet
- 949 7649 D TIDAL
- Marker Type:
- tidal station disk
- copper-clad steel rod
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Ladybug Kids found TT3759
N 70° 22.728 W 148° 32.083
Found this mark exactly as described (plus an orange NOAA witness post) and am providinng WGS84 coordinates to supplement the scaled coordinates. I had to break up the hard windblown crust with my steel toed work boots and the remove the innards from my hard hat to serve as a snow scoop before I discovered the mark under just 2" of snow about two feet west of the witness post and steel marker. Ambient temperature was +5° F with a windchill of -10° F.
[This entry was edited by Ladybug Kids on Friday, April 24, 2009 at 9:48:16 AM.]
[Photos:]TT3759, West Dock, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, View East
Frozen Beaufort Sea/Arctic Ocean
TT3759, West Dock, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, View West
West Dock, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, View South
WDSP Facility is in the background.
West Dock, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, View North
Dock 2 is on horizon line.
TT3759, West Dock, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1976 by NGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1976
10.75 MI N FROM PRUDHOE BAY. 10.75 MILES NORTH ALONG A GRAVEL ROAD LEADING TO DOCK 2 FROM THE JUNCTION OF YUKON-PRUDHOE HIGHWAY AT PRUDHOE BAY, ALSO 0.75 MILES SOUTH OF DOCK 2, 158.5 FEET EAST OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE ROAD, 1.3 FEET SOUTHWEST OF A ORANGE METAL MARKER. THE DISK PROJECTS 1 FEET ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE GROUND.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- This Tidal Bench Mark is designated as VM 1355 by the Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (G = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.