Details for Benchmark: SR0056
N 47° 37.217 W 108° 05.017 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In PHILLIPS county, MT View Original Datasheet
- 3 CAP
- Marker Type:
- cap-and-bolt pair
- set into the top of a metal pipe driven into the ground
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||kayakbird found SR0056
I'm going to claim this one even if it is more than a a mile south of the published L/L. The original Army description fits and it is at the original Army numbers adjusted with a correction factor that has been working all the way down from Fort Benton.
These double PID's for the same station don't make sense for what must be a standard MORC combination of a quarried underground stone, four feet of 4.5 inch heavy-walled stand pipe topped off with the distinctive Bench Mark cap with a raised round button affixed to the top of the pipe with a through and through cross bolt.
The 1965 crew had a NOT FOUND recovery for this BOLT and no history for the CAP.
EDIT 11 SEPT 2010. Researching for the exact location of the steamship era Carrol Landing, the Missouri River beginning of the Carroll Trail which ended in Helena, I found a few pages of 'Map of the Missouri River' by the Missouri River Commission, published 1892-1895. BM 64-2, SR0056/57 is shown exactly where I found it last years. Photos added to log. MEL
This entry was edited by kayakbird on Saturday, 11 September 2010 at 16:14:10.
[Photos:]SR0056 MORC BM 64-2 1885
MORC BM 64 - 2
'Left bank, at foot of point of bluffs, just below Hawley Island cut-off. On chart 31.' From page 103 'Bench Marks on the Missouri River" 1912.
'Map of the Missouri River' 1892-1895
DS STILL INDICATES THE ERRONEOUS LAT/LONG
Documented History (by the NGS)
|Unknown by MORC (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1935 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1935
36.0 MI NE FROM WILDER. IN PHILLIPS COUNTY, 12.5 MILES NORTH ALONG THE ZORTMAN ROAD FROM WILDER, FERGUS COUNTY, 23.5 MILES EAST ALONG THE LEGG ROAD. 1.2 MILES NORTH OF A FARMHOUSE, 200 FEET NORTHEAST OF A FENCE CROSSING, AND 36 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE ROAD. A MISSOURI RIVER COMMISSION STANDARD CAP, FASTENED ON THE TOP OF AN IRON PIPE.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.