Details for Benchmark: KV0570
N 40° 40.917 W 074° 00.333 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In KINGS county, NY View Original Datasheet
- X 347
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Papa-Bear-NYC found KV0570
This was a long shot, literally.
The mark is set on the structure at the entrance to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, and you just don't go there, stop your car and take pictures!
But I was lucky and I could see the mark easily exactly as described from the street above. If I had a telephoto lens you coule even read the stamping. BTW, I think taking pictures of tunnels in NYC is [i]verboten[/i].
First to Find!
[Photos:]KV0570 "X 347", Redhook, Brooklyn NY
View from the street above.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1952 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1952
AT NEW YORK. AT NEW YORK, IN BOROUGH OF BROOKLYN, AT THE SOUTHEAST END OF BROOKLYN BATTERY TUNNAL, SET VERTICALLY IN SOUTHEAST FACE OF STRUCTURE BETWEEN THE TWO TUNNELS, 6 FEET SOUTHWEST OF CENTER OF A DOORWAY BETWEEN THE TWO TRAFFIC LANES AND 1.9 FEET ABOVE ENTRANCE RAMP.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.