Details for Benchmark: LW1572
N 41° 31.433 W 070° 40.283 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In BARNSTABLE county, MA View Original Datasheet
- 844 7930 TIDAL 10
- Marker Type:
- tidal station disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||ArtMan found LW1572
In plain view in the driveway on the left side of the building as you face Bigelow Lab (the one with the cupola). No issues with public access here.
[Photos:]Closeup, 844 7930 TIDAL 10 (LW1572) Woods Hole, MA
Setting, 844 7930 TIDAL 10 (LW1572) Woods Hole, MA
Area, 844 7930 TIDAL 10 (LW1572) Woods Hole, MA
View to the west, with Bigelow Lab in the background.
Bigelow, 844 7930 TIDAL 10 (LW1572) Woods Hole, MA
Entry to WHOI's Bigelow Lab
||MnO₂ found LW1572
See the disk and the coordinates attached :-)
||Papa-Bear-NYC found LW1572
We were picking up my daughter in Woods Hole at the ferry from Martha's Vinyard on the way to a family reunuion on the Cape. We managed to spend a half hour or so around this quaint village and bagged 4 of the 6 tidal benchmarks in Woods Hole - the other two were on or near the pier which was off limits behind a fence with a locked gate.
This one didn't have much of a description and I thought it too was behind the gate, but then I just saw it near the front of the building. It is on the side walk leading to the pier along the east side of the old Bigelow laboratory building (the one with the cupola). It's outside the gate, about 10 feet from the curb of Water Street and just on the side of the sidewalk nearest the building.
[This entry was edited by Papa-Bear-NYC on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 6:06:50 PM.]
[Photos:]LW1572 "844 7930 TIDAL 10", Woods Hole MA
View from the south side walk of Water Street looking west towards the old Bigelow Laboratory building.
LW1572 "844 7930 TIDAL 10", Woods Hole MA
An amazingly new looking disk for one set in 1932.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1932 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1978 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1978
IN WOODS HOLE. SET IN TOP OF THE CONCRETE SIDEWALK LEADING FROM STREET ALONG EAST SIDE OF WOODS HOLE OCEANOGRAPHIC INSTITUTION TO WHARE.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- This Tidal Bench Mark is designated as VM 198 by the Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values. The observed gravity was obtained from relative gravimeter ties to the IGSN71 gravity network.