Recovered the station mark, reference marks, and azimuth mark – all in good condition. The station mark was found at the adjusted coordinates.
Changes/additions to the 1942 description are as follows:
- We are unsure where “Old Ridge Trail” was. Now, Road 1909 is about 305 feet east of the station (measured using GPSr track data. Because of the extreme slope between the station and road, it was impractical to measure the distance with a tape measure.) We could not find a “27 mile sign”.
We found the station 18 feet west-southwest of what we estimate is the highest point in the area.
There were no pine trees at the 19 foot distance from the station. There were no trees within 25 feet that were old enough to have been 14-inches in diameter in 1942.
The station is no longer at the “edge of the trees”. There are now trees up to the summit.
The station mark and both reference marks are 3.5 inch diameter disks welded to 2.3 inch outside diameter pipes. The station disk and RM2 protrude 6 inches above the ground. RM1 protrudes 12 inches above the ground.
The station mark is 40.5 feet south-southwest of a 2.5 foot diameter tree that branches into a “U” about 15 feet above the ground.
We found the azimuth mark 4 miles from the station (at the direction given in the box score) located near the top of a section of Long Ridge. The Long Ridge Lookout buildings are gone (see our OA0936 log).
The azimuth mark is in the top of an outcropping of bedrock that protrudes about 0.5 feet above surrounding ground. The outcropping is just SE of the ridgeline and the 0.5 foot protrusion puts the height of the disk about equal with the ridge top. The exposed area of the outcropping is roughly 3.7 feet by 2.2 feet.
The azimuth mark is 2.3 feet NNW of a metal post (typical metal fence post).
The azimuth mark is 16.8 feet northeast of a 2.5 foot diameter fir tree.
Our Garmin nuvi 760 GPSr gave the location of the azimuth mark as: N 42° 14.890 W 124° 05.051 (with “14 Feet Accuracy”).
The azimuth mark has its own reference mark. At 11.8 feet exactly west (270º) of the azimuth mark there is a disk on top of the ridge. The disk is cemented in a bedrock outcropping (or buried boulder) that has an exposure area of 1.1 feet square. The disk is a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers station disk that has been pressed into service as a reference mark disk. It has an obviously hand-scribed arrow pointing towards the azimuth mark (a sideways “V” letter stamp was used for the point of the arrow).
The disk is stamped: POLLOYG A. R.M. 2 .
We searched for a RM1, but all we got for our troubles was a bad case of poison oak. (Be careful if you are nosing around northwest of the azimuth mark.)
We found RM1 and RM2 at the locations given in the box score. Trees prevented clear lines of site to the other reference objects. Based upon calculations between GPS coordinates we know the azimuth mark was located at the direction in the box score.
NON-RELVANT INFO THAT WE WILL SHARE ANYWAY:
Pollywog Butte was part of one of the largest fires in Oregon’s recorded history - the 2002 Biscuit Fire.
We found a burnt piece of lumber protruding from the earth near the station mark. We also found 2 pole-shaped pieces of wood lying next to the station (see photo).
We also saw a pair of metallic rods (2.75 inches in length) near the station (see photo). We originally wondered if the rods were the cores from a pair of batteries. However, later measurement of batteries indicates that 2.75 inches is too long to be part of any AA to D-size battery. So… what are they?
We also saw a Taylor Magnapole Bakelite compass lying on the ground. All pieces survived except the needle (see photo). The compass had “E.M.” inscribed on the back. Poor E.M., we sympathize, we are always losing stuff in the woods.