2021 Texas Instruments Math Love Geocaching Photo Contest Official rules
Important: Please read these Official Contest Rules (“Rules”) before participating in the 2021 Texas Instruments Math Love Geocaching Photo Contest (the "Contest"). By participating in the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements below.
Important COVID-19 notice: the contest, these rules and all dates are subject to change, as Texas Instruments, in its sole discretion, deems appropriate, in response to government guidance, orders or travel advisories concerning covid-19 in the United States. While participating in contest-related activities, you are urged to be mindful of precautions advised by the centers for disease control and prevention and local authorities concerning the spread of COVID-19 such as wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces in public places.
No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment will not increase your chances of winning. Void where prohibited.
Contest description: You can participate in the 2021 TI Math Love Geocaching Photo Contest by engaging in location-based outdoor play by hiding or finding a secretly located TI Spread Math Love geocaching trackable game piece from Groundspeak, Inc. d/b/a Geocaching (“Geocaching”) and submitting a photograph of it on Twitter or Instagram for a chance to win a prize. During each of six judging periods during the Contest Period, TI judges will award one TI-84 Plus CE calculator or TI-Nspire CX II graphing calculator (6 first-place winners) and four Math Love Swag Packs (24 total honorable-mention winners).
Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Contest is Texas Instruments Incorporated, acting by and through its Education Technology division (“TI” or “Sponsor”), with a place of business at 13532 N. Central Expressway, Dallas, TX 75243, and with a website at http://education.ti.com.
Contest Period: The Contest will begin on June 1, 2021 at 9:00 am Pacific Daylight Time and will end on December 31, 2021 at 11:59 am Central Time (the "Contest Period"). TI's computer will be the official time keeping device of this Contest. All dates are expressed month/day/year.
Eligibility: OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, AND PUERTO RICO AND WHO ARE THIRTEEN (13) YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AT THE TIME OF ENTRY (EXCEPT ALABAMA AND NEBRASKA RESIDENTS MUST BE AT LEAST 19 YEARS OLD AND MISSISSIPPI RESIDENTS MUST BE 21). IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 16 YOU MAY ONLY PARTICIPATE WITH THE CONSENT OF A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN WHO AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THESE RULES. These individuals are not eligible to enter or win: Employees and their immediate families (parent, child, spouse or sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and those living in their same households (whether or not related) of Sponsor, and its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, and participating advertising and promotion agencies, including Geocaching. By participating, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges and/or Sponsor are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest.
How to Enter:
To enter, you or your parent/legal guardian must have or create an account on a third-party site at Geocaching.com or on the Geocaching® mobile application and, during the Contest Period, receive or find a "TI math buddy" geocaching trackable associated with the Contest (e.g., a token containing a unique tracking code), take a photograph that includes the trackable and post the photograph to your Instagram or Twitter account before the end of the Contest Period (all as detailed below).
Spread Math Love Trackable: Once you have a Geocaching account, you may, during the Contest Period, receive (via the procedure below) or find a trackable associated with the Contest (a "Spread Math Love Trackable" or "Contest Trackable") as specified below. For more information on geocaching trackables, in general, visit www.geocaching.com/track/. For more information on geocaches and geocaching, in general, visit https://www.geocaching.com/guide/.
- Requesting, Photographing and Placing a Spread Math Love Trackable: Approximately 2,000 Spread Math Love Trackables will be made available for request from June 1, 2021 to June 8, 2021 (the "Request Period"). To request a Spread Math Love Trackable, visit www.geocaching.com/TIMathLove (the "Promotion Landing Page") and follow the on-screen instructions to request a Contest Trackable during the Request Period. Each individual who requests a Contest Trackable via the Promotion Landing Page will be required to submit his or her email address, mailing address and such other information as Geocaching may require. If during the Request Period more than 2,000 individuals request a Contest Trackable, names will be randomly drawn by Geocaching to determine which requestors will receive the available Contest Trackables. Following receipt of a Contest Trackable, the recipient must activate the Trackable on Geocaching.com and place the Contest Trackable in a geocache for others to find. Recipient may enter the Contest by capturing a photograph of the Contest Trackable following the photo criteria and steps described below.
- Finding and Photographing a Spread Math Love Trackable: Those who request and receive Contest Trackables must place them in a geocache. Contest Trackables may be deposited in geocache containers throughout the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and will be available for finding, subject to availability. To determine the location of a Contest Trackable that has been deposited in a geocache, during the Contest Period, visit the Promotion Landing Page and click on the "Find a Trackable" link. A map will be displayed with the locations of geocaches in which individuals have reported placing or discovering Contest Trackables. The Promotion Landing Page will only provide the locations of geocaches in which Spread Math Love Trackables are reported to have been deposited, and may not provide up-to-date information as to the actual locations (for example, information on the Promotion Landing Page may not reflect whether another individual has retrieved the Contest Trackable from a geocache). There is no guarantee that any Contest Trackables will be available for finding in any location designated by the Promotion Landing Page or Geocaching.com. After visiting the Promotion Landing Page and determining the locations of geocaches in which Contest Trackables have been deposited, during the Contest Period, visit any of such geocache locations to look for a Contest Trackable. If you find a Spread Math Love Trackable, follow the steps below to take a photograph and enter.
Posting Photo of the Spread Math Love Trackable: First, capture an original photo of the Spread Math Love Trackable. See photo criteria below. Second, post the photo publicly on your Instagram or Twitter account using both the #SpreadMathLove and #TICacheContest hashtags and include a brief caption of how the content within the photo helps to spread math love. (A public post that includes the photo and hashtags is an "Entry", and a person who posts an Entry is an "Entrant").
- The Entrant must be the registered user of the social media account used to post the Entry. If you do not have a public Instagram or Twitter account, you can create one by downloading the free app onto your mobile device or visiting the websites for Twitter and/or Instagram and following the on-screen instructions to create a new account. Be sure that your account can be publicly viewed.
- Each Entrant may enter any number of photos, but not more than one (1) photo per Entry, and Entrants must submit a new (i.e., not previously submitted) photograph for each Entry submitted. An Entrant may only win one (1) prize during the Contest Period.
Because of the nature of the hiding and seeking game activity a cellular data plan or GPS device is necessary and message and data rates may apply to the use of a mobile phone/device to participate in the Contest. You (or your parent/legal guardian if you are a minor in your jurisdiction of residence) are strongly advised to check your mobile phone/device carrier's rate plan before attempting to participate in the Contest via use of an app. Wireless internet service may not be available in all areas.
All product trademarks and logos in the photo, other than those of Geocaching, or Texas Instruments Incorporated trademarks on Texas Instruments products, must be obscured, hidden or covered.
TI hereby grants to each Entrant a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, revocable right to use its trademarks solely for purposes of and limited to including them in the photos submitted in this Contest. Such right and license will automatically expire without further act of any party at the expiration of the Contest Period, unless specifically extended on an individual basis by TI in writing at its sole discretion. Any other uses of TI's trademarks will violate TI's intellectual property rights.
TI IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH Geocaching, TWITTER, INC., INSTAGRAM, GOOGLE MAPS OR ANY OR ANY OTHER PROVIDER OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES WHICH MAY BE NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CONTEST, AND TI IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OR OMISSIONS OF ANY SUCH THIRD PARTIES OR THE PERFORMANCE OF ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
Prize winners will be selected during six judging periods from a pool of all valid and eligible Entries submitted between June 1 and December 31, 2021. Odds of winning depend upon the total number and quality of the Entries.Photo Judging:
- Six Judging Periods. Within 10 days of July 30, August 2, September 1, October 1, November 1, and December 31 a panel of qualified judges comprised of representatives of Sponsor, at Sponsor's sole discretion ("Judges") will judge the photos. Photos which are not judged as winners in any judging period will roll over to the next judging period and will be eligible for consideration.
- Judging Criteria. Judges will evaluate and score all eligible entries received based on the following subjective criteria: (1) the quality of the photo (25%), (2) depiction of TI Spread Math Love Trackable (25%), (3) creativity of Spread Math Love content (25%), (4) showcasing of TI technology (5%), and (5) creativity of caption (20%). Decisions by the Judges are final and binding and non-appealable.
- Calculator Prizes: One first-place winner in each of the six judging periods will receive his or her choice of a TI-84 Plus CE (ARV $129) or TI-Nspire CX II (ARV $165) graphing calculator. A total of six calculator prizes will be awarded throughout the Contest Period. The approximate retail value ("ARV") of all six Calculator Prizes is USD $990.
- Swag Pack Prizes: Four honorable-mention winners in each judging period will receive a TI Math Love Swag Pack, which includes a TI Math Love T-shirt, stickers, popsocket, journal and pencils (ARV $25). A total of 24 swag packs will be awarded throughout the Contest Period. The ARV of all 24 Swag Pack Prizes is USD $600.
If a stated prize is unavailable, TI reserves the right to substitute items of equal or greater value. Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable, or redeemable for cash. Reporting and payment of any federal, state, provincial, local, VAT, or other taxes, fees, customs, duties, insurance, or other amounts owed in connection with any prize are the sole responsibility of the winner(s). An IRS form 1099 will be issued if required by law.
EACH PRIZE GIVEN AWAY IS "AS IS." TI DOES NOT MAKE, AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS, ANY WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, REGARDING ANY PRIZE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Restrictions: The submitted photo must NOT, in the sole discretion of TI:
- Disparages any person, TI and/or any of TI's affiliates' products, competitors, or other companies;
- Violates or infringes upon the copyrights, trademarks, or privacy, property, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity not affiliated with this Contest;
- Includes brand names, copyrighted work or trademarks/logos that may infringe on rights of any third party not affiliated with this Contest;
- Is hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- Promotes bigotry, racism, sexism, violence, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes a political agenda or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- Contains any personal identification, such as personal names or e-mail addresses;
- Promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or using the foregoing);
- Promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous;
- Is unlawful or in violation of any law;
- Contains any nudity, sexually explicit, lewd, obscene, offensive, disparaging or other inappropriate content;
- Is unsuitable to be entered into this Contest for any reason whatsoever; and/or
- Communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which TI wishes to associate.
Representations and Warranties: By submitting an Entry herein, you hereby represent and warrant: (a) you are eligible to enter the Contest; (b) with the exception that the photograph may be taken by someone other than you, the photograph is your sole, exclusive, original creation; (c) you are the owner of all right, title and interest in and to your Entry and have the right to grant the rights granted or, alternatively, you have obtained all necessary rights and permissions to use and submit your Entry in connection with the Contest and to provide all the rights specified in these Rules prior to posting the Entry (e.g., the written consent of any person other than you taking the photograph or depicted in the photograph); (d) you have the unconditional right to submit your Entry pursuant to these Rules, and your Entry and the use thereof as contemplated herein does not and will not violate, misappropriate, or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including, without limitation, any copyright, trademark, patent, or any rights of publicity or privacy, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights; (e) your Entry has not previously been entered in any other Contest or promotion sponsored by an education technology retailer, either online or in-store; (f) your Entry has not been licensed, published, distributed or publicly used or displayed by a commercial enterprise (other than as part of a Geocaching log); ; and (g) your Entry does not and will not violate any applicable laws or regulations, and is not and will not be defamatory or libelous.
SUBMITTED PHOTOS REPRESENT SOLELY THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF THE ENTRANT AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF TI. TI HAS NO OBLIGATION TO AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY IN CONJUNCTION WITH SCREENING, MONITORING, OR REVIEWING THE CONTENT OF SUBMITTED PHOTOS.
Contest winner notification/ verification/ acceptance:
On or about one (1) day after each winner selection, TI will make up to two (2) attempts within three (3) business days to contact the prize winners via the social media platform used by the Entrant to enter the Contest. On or about the time of winner selection in each of the six judging periods, TI will announce the winners on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Winner(s) must respond to the prize notification within the time specified in the notification and may be required to: (1) provide an email address; (2) provide, within three (3) calendar days, the unaltered photo from the winning Entry; (3) provide his or her full mailing address to receive the prize(s); (4) upon TI's request, sign and return a release of liability, declaration or affidavit of eligibility, confirmation of Entrant's agreement to the Rules, and, where lawful, a publicity release signed by Entrant (or if a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, by his/her parent or legal guardian) granting permission to use his/her name and likeness for advertising and/or promotional and/or marketing purposes (without further compensation) (Tennessee residents need not complete and return a publicity release); (5) upon TI request, provide confirmation of the License granted to TI below signed by Entrant and, if necessary, signed consents from any persons taking the Entry photograph or depicted in the Entry photograph (or if any is a minor signed by a parent or guardian); and (6) take possession of the prize(s) in the manner specified by TI.
Disqualification: Noncompliance with these Rules, failure to return any documents within the time specified, or failure to respond to notification attempts or returns of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable will cause disqualification, and an alternate winner will be selected using the criteria specified. TI will fulfill all prizes within 4-6 weeks of the end of the Contest Period. All decisions of TI relating to the Contest are final.
Publicity: Each winner, by acceptance of a Prize, unless legally prohibited, grants permission for TI, Geocaching and their designees to use his/her name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
License to Entry: By submitting an Entry, you (or if a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian) acknowledge and agree if your Entry is determined to be a winner, by acceptance of a prize in this Contest, you grant to TI, Geocaching and their licensees, sublicensees, designees, successors, and assigns, the exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, transferable, sublicenseable right and license (including but not limited to, all intellectual property and proprietary rights) to use the Entry in any manner and in all media now known or hereinafter developed (the "License"). The rights granted under the License shall also include, without limitation, the right to alter or edit the Entry, and to make derivative works based on the Entry. You (or if a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian) agree to sign any documents required by TI or Geocaching upon request to confirm such License. This license survives the Contest Period.
Identity of Entrant: If a dispute occurs about the identity of an entrant, Entries will be declared/made by the Authorized Account Holder of the social media account through which an Entry was made, and if a prize is won, it will be awarded to the social media account owner. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person assigned to a social media address by the online social media service provider (e.g., Twitter or Instagram) that licenses the account.
General Conditions: The decisions of TI are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest without appeal. Except as determined by TI in its sole discretion, no substitution of a prize shall be offered and no transfer of the right to receive a prize to a third party is permitted, except by TI, who reserves the right to award a prize, or portion thereof, of equal or greater value. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. Actual value of prize will depend on current market conditions during fulfillment, and any difference between the stated MSRP and the actual value of the prize will not be awarded, except at TI's sole discretion. Any guarantees and warrantees on merchandise prizes are subject to the manufacturer's terms, and winners agree to look solely to said manufacturers for any such warranty or guarantee claim. All prize details are in TI's sole discretion.
General Liability: Entrants agree that TI and Geocaching, their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and advertising and promotion agencies, and the successors and assigns and licensees of each of the foregoing, all other companies involved in the development or operation of the Contest, all other companies involved in the provision of any prize, and the directors, officers, employees and agents and contractors of each of the foregoing (individually and collectively, the "Releasees") (a) shall not be responsible or liable for, and you hereby release Releasees from, any claims, losses, damages or injuries of any kind (including death, to persons or property) resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Contest or any Contest related activity (including without limitation in connection with finding or seeking to find a Contest Trackable); (b) to the maximum extent permitted by law, have not made any warranty, condition, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to a prize, including, without limitation, to such prize's quality or fitness for a particular purpose; (c) shall not be liable or responsible for any allegation of a violation of any law, rule or regulation relating to personal information or data security, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the Contest, the use of Instagram, or Twitter or the Promotion Landing Page; and (d) shall not be liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or irregularity that may be caused or contributed to: (i) by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission by any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors of TI or Geocaching; (ii) by any wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission by any other person or entity not an employee of TI or Geocaching, or (iii) by any other cause, condition or event beyond the control of TI or Geocaching.
TI and Geocaching assume no responsibility for computer system, phone line, hardware, software, third party sites, or program malfunctions or other errors, failures of any kinds, delayed computer transmissions or network, server, cable, satellite, Internet Service Provider (ISP) or other connections that are human or technical in nature or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, notification and announcement of the prizewinners, or in any other Contest related materials. TI and Geocaching are not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate registration information, whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, by any technical or human errors which may occur in the processing of the entries in the Contest, or for any technical or human errors which may occur during the administration of the Contest. TI reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or entry process, or to be acting in a unsportsmanlike, disruptive, or illegal manner or in violation of these Rules and void all associated entries. TI is not responsible for entries garbled, late, tampered with, forged, incomplete, misdirected, lost, misplaced, stolen, delayed, damaged, inaccurate, undelivered, destroyed or otherwise not in compliance with these Rules, and all such entries will be void. If production, technical, seeding, programming or any other factors/reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes in these Rules to be available and/or claimed, TI reserves the right to award the prizes as stated herein via additional random drawings from among all eligible, legitimate, entries, at its sole discretion.
Failure of TI to enforce any provision herein shall not be deemed a waiver of such. If any part of these Rules is determined to be invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and these Rules shall continue in effect.
TI reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects is using any automated entry (e.g., any use of a bot) and any individual suspected or found to be: (1) submitting automated entries of any kind; (2) using software that automatically completes an entry; or (3) engaging in any form of cheating or hacking.
ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, TI RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND COSTS (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS' FEES) FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, TI AND GEOCACHING SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE CONTEST, HOWSOEVER CAUSED, WHETHER ARISING IN STATUTE, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER TI OR GEOCACHING WERE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND ALL SUCH DAMAGES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED.
Modification or Termination: TI reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, amend, suspend, cancel, or terminate the Contest at any time for any reason, including but not limited to any reason that affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest. Such reasons include but are not limited to fraud, tampering, unauthorized access, infections by computer virus, bugs, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of TI.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction: The Contest and these rules and conditions shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas, and any dispute arising out of this Contest shall be brought in, and each entrant hereby consents to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in, the Federal District Courts sitting in Dallas County, Texas. By entering this Contest, all entrants agree that any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action or other proceeding.
Winners' Names: The winners' first name, last initial, city and state may be posted on the TI Education Technology social media pages, after the Contest termination and verification of the Entrant.
Winners List: To obtain a copy of these Rules or the name of the prize winners, available after January 1, 2022, send a self-addressed first-class stamped envelope to:Texas Instruments Incorporated
Educational Technology Division
c/o 2021 Math Love Geocaching Contest
13532 N. Central Expressway, MS3821
Dallas, TX 75243
Requests must be received by March 31, 2022.
This Contest in no way is sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Google Maps.