The Bluffs of Southeastern Minnesota
In Minnesota, United States
Size:  (not chosen)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Here you will find some interesting information regarding the formation of these beautiful bluffs you are seeing. Be sure and take some time to find out more about them and how and when they were formed.
These bluffs down here in valley were created very a long time ago. There were the glaciers that moved through the area with the last one called the "Wisconsin" giving way and melting many years ago. The most recent oceanic coverage dates back even further ago than this.
While you are here I want you to do the following to get credit for this earthcache:
1. While you are visiting the area try and imagine the vast oceanic coverage and how interesting the ocean bottom would have looked.
2. Let me know via email when the Wisconsin glacier melted.
3. What minerals can we see that are in the exposures of the road cuts?
4. How many years ago was the most recent oceanic coverage?
5. Take a picture of yourself and your party with GPS in hand.
You can log your visit but email me your thoughts about the area and the answers to the questions via my Geocaching profile.
Thanks and I hope you enjoyed this geology lesson.
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 11/5/2015 8:33:27 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (4:33 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum