This park has a disc golf course and this cache is located near
the course. This course is usually very busy!
Please return this cache to the EXACT same location and please use the same natural camo to conceal the cache.
In the days before Wisconsin's statehood, the Fox River was an
important water highway for travelers and fur traders. At a natural
portage point along the Fox, where the Mansion now stands, a
trading post was established as early as 1760.
Charles A. Grignon, whose family had been active in the fur trade
for over 100 years, took over this post in 1830.
In 1837, Charles A. Grignon built this elegant Mansion as a wedding
gift for his Pennsylvania bride, Mary Elizabeth Meade. An oasis of
luxury and civilization on the Wisconsin frontier, this stately
home was known as "The Mansion in the Woods" to countless
The Mansion and the Grignon family were also familiar to local
American Indian tribes. The grandson of a Menominee woman, Charles
acted as an interpreter for the U.S. government at the Treaty of
the Cedars, which transferred four million acres of Menominee land
to the U. S. Goverment for European and Euro-American immigration:
the area now known as Northeast Wisconsin.
Congratulations to the ImDutch team for their FTF late in the evening on 3/21/10.