The Tanners’ Gate (Hebrew: Sha’ar HaBurskai) is a gate in the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem. Next to the Dung Gate is a new pedestrian gate called Tanners’ Gate. It’s actually an old medieval gate which was uncovered during excavations in the 1980s. During the 1990s and the millennial year, we had so much traffic entering and exiting the city from the Dung Gate, the municipality decided to restore the medieval gate for pilgrims. This gate is not yet well-known. In Hebrew it’s called Sha’ar HaBurskai, which was apparently its name during the Crusader period when it must have been an industrial area for tanners. The cattle market was concentrated on the southeastern corner of the city, as were the allied professions of butchers and tanners. Hence the name of the nearby Tanners’ Gate. Israeli archaeologists have reopened the 13th century Tanners’ Gate, near the Dung Gate. It has been closed for about 600 years. The magnificent walls of Jerusalem's Old City were built by the Ottoman Empire under the direct supervision of Sultan Suleiman in 1542. The walls stretch for approximately 4.5 kilometres (2.8 miles) and rise to a height of 5–15 metres (16–49 feet), with a thickness of 3 metres (10 feet). Altogether, the Old City walls contain 43 surveillance towers and 12 gates, eight of which are presently open.