There's no arguing that geocaching is an art, as much as it is a game. In designing a creative container, writing a memorable log, or going to great lengths to reach a cache, we express ourselves every time we play. See how the community has turned geocaching into an art form by attending this 2017 GIFF Event.
From November 2-6, 2017, thousands of geocachers will take part in a global geocaching movie event. The GIFF 2017 reel will contain an hour of carefully selected finalist films made by geocachers, for geocachers.
For the second year in row, I've reserved a screen at the Warner Movie Theater in Ridgewood, NJ, for geocachers to enjoy these films. Enjoy comfortable seating with your friends and fellow geocachers. Earn a souvenir for your geocaching profile! Vote for your favorite film after you've seen them all!
A couple cool items to note about this event:
- The movie theater concession stand will be open for you to purchase your favorite movie theater snack! Of course, purchasing snacks is optional for this event.
- As noted above, attending a GIFF event will earn you a souvenir for your profile.
- Last year, 14,635 geocachers worldwide earned the GIFF 2016 souvenir, at one of 526 sponsored events.
- After being inspired by last year's films, I learned about filmmaking over the winter, and in the spring, with the help of some friends, created a GIFF 2017 film. Amazingly, it was selected as one of the finalists! I hope you enjoy the film!
The theater holds 180 people maximum, so arrive early! The theater we will be using is upstairs, which is why this is not a T1 event. The event will take place Saturday, November 4th, from 10am to 12pm, and the schedule will be as follows:
- 10am: theater opens
- 10:25am: group photo
- 10:30am - 11:30am: enjoy the films
- 11:30am - 12pm: vote for your favorite film and discuss them with fellow geocachers!
Attendance is free, though to help defray the cost of the theater rental, a suggested donation of $5 per attendee is appreciated.
The theater is located at 190 E Ridgewood Ave, Ridgewood, NJ 07450. Parking in Ridgewood is notoriously difficult so make sure to leave time to find a parking space!
The theater is within walking distance of the Ridgewood Train Station and Bus Station, if mass transit is how you will be arriving.
When logging a Will Attend, please note how many will be in attendance.
THE GIFF 2017 FILM FINALISTS ARE...
|A Travel Bug's Life
||GeoElmo6000 (that's me!)
|FOUND IT! (My Geocaching Adventure)
|Geocaching Day in Vilnius
|Geocaching is free
|Geocaching: Your Passport to Adventure
|Geo early learning
|Harry Dirtski and Disco Box (org. Brudny Henryk i Disco Box)
|The Art of Geocaching (Canada)
|The Art of Geocaching (USA)
|The discovery of the FTF-Hunter
|The Future of Geocaching
|The Reviewer’s Day
|The Road To Geocacher