There's no arguing that geocaching is an art, as much as it is a game. In designing a creative container, writing a memorable log, or going to great lengths to reach a cache, we express ourselves every time we play. See how the community has turned geocaching into an art form by attending this 2017 GIFF Event.
From November 2-6, 2017, thousands of geocachers will take part in a global geocaching movie event. The GIFF 2017 reel will contain an hour of carefully selected finalist films made by geocachers, for geocachers.
Map of 2017 GIFF events as of October 31, 2017
For the second year in row, I've reserved a screen at the Warner Movie Theater in Ridgewood, NJ, for geocachers to enjoy these films. Enjoy comfortable seating with your friends and fellow geocachers. Earn a souvenir for your geocaching profile! Vote for your favorite film after you've seen them all!
A couple cool items to note about this event:
- The movie theater concession stand will be open for you to purchase your favorite movie theater snack! Of course, purchasing snacks is optional for this event.
- As noted above, attending a GIFF event will earn you a souvenir for your profile.
- Last year, 14,635 geocachers worldwide earned the GIFF 2016 souvenir, at one of 526 sponsored events.
- After being inspired by last year's films, I learned about filmmaking over the winter, and in the spring, with the help of some friends, created a GIFF 2017 film. Amazingly, it was selected as one of the finalists! I hope you enjoy the film!
The theater holds 180 people maximum, so arrive early! The theater we will be using is upstairs, which is why this is not a T1 event. The event will take place Saturday, November 4th, from 10am to 12pm, and the schedule will be as follows:
- 10am: theater opens
- 10:25am: group photo
- 10:30am - 11:30am: enjoy the films
- 11:30am - 12pm: vote for your favorite film and discuss them with fellow geocachers!
Attendance is free, though to help defray the cost of the theater rental, a suggested donation of $5 per attendee is appreciated.
The theater is located at 190 E Ridgewood Ave, Ridgewood, NJ 07450. Parking in Ridgewood is notoriously difficult so make sure to leave time to find a parking space!
The theater is within walking distance of the Ridgewood Train Station and Bus Station, if mass transit is how you will be arriving.
When logging a Will Attend, please note how many will be in attendance.
THE GIFF 2017 FILM FINALISTS ARE...
|A Travel Bug's Life
||GeoElmo6000 (that's me!)
|FOUND IT! (My Geocaching Adventure)
|Geocaching Day in Vilnius
|Geocaching is free
|Geocaching: Your Passport to Adventure
|Geo early learning
|Harry Dirtski and Disco Box (org. Brudny Henryk i Disco Box)
|The Art of Geocaching (Canada)
|The Art of Geocaching (USA)
|The discovery of the FTF-Hunter
|The Future of Geocaching
|The Reviewer’s Day
|The Road To Geocacher
The log from the event - lots of attendees!
The results of the voting
A view of the left side of the crowd from the back of the theater - credit KIAX