Village signs is a series of caches based on the ornate signs that depict the heritage, history and culture of the villages that put them up (normally on the village green!).
The signs can be made of different materials from fibreglass to wood, from forged steel to stone. They can depict anything from local industry to historical events. The tradition probably stated in Norfolk or Suffolk and has now spread across most of the country so we thought we would base a series on them!
The following is taken from Wikipedia.
Bergh Apton is a village and civil parish in the South Norfolk district of Norfolk, England, 7 miles (11 km) south-east of Norwich just south of the A146 between Yelverton and Thurton. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 428 in 186 households,the population increasing to 442 at the 2011 Census. Originally, Bergh Apton was two separate villages; Apton to the north-west and Bergh to the south-east, each with its own church. Apton was served by the church of St. Martin which lay near the present day Church Farm on Dodgers Lane, its last recorded use being in 1555 and the remains being finally cleared in 1834. Bergh was served by the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul which stands on a low hill overlooking the River Chet which marks the southern boundary of the now combined parish. The church appears to have been reconstructed in the 14th century, with local flint with ashlar and brick details. The village school was closed in 1981 and the children transferred to Alpington and Bergh Apton CofE voluntary-aided school in Alpington. The village shop and Post Office closed on 31 December 2012. The village hall, opened on the day of Queen Elizabeth's coronation on 2 June 1953 was totally refurbished in 2013 and reopened in November of that year with new facilities and all-ability access. The hall is regularly used by village societies, the Parish Council, and numerous activities that include a microscopy study group, yoga, painting, singing and dog-training. Bergh Apton is served by bus route 570 operated by Konectbus providing five services a day into Norwich and out to Seething and Loddon.
A simple cache and dash opportunity in a lovely quiet area, out in the sticks some would perhaps say. There a few thorns in the vicinity at GZ. Please take the opportunity to have a look at the Village sign. Reference point provided.
If anybody would like to expand this series please do. I would just ask that you let Smokeypugs know first so they can keep track of the Village Sign numbers and names to avoid duplication.