O.K. Here's a true story...
The name of this story is "How Al's Cache Saved My Ash"
I arrived at the parking coords and was sitting in the truck with the engine running when I heard a loud bang. I looked up from my GPSr to see if one of the cars that were flying past had an accident. Nope, everyone seems O.K. Hey, what's that white smoke billowing out from under the hood? I pop the hood to find engine coolant all over the place. Then I spot the small hole in the top of the radiator hose. Damn! If only I had some duct tape!
Well, I could sit here and wait for a duct tape truck to come by, or I could go for the cache, let the engine cool down, and hopefully think up some sort of master plan along the way.
So I went for the cache.
I searched around for a bit, but eventually got it. I took a coin and an AX wooden nickel. Left a $1 coin and SL. I rehid the cache and was about to head back when...
"What a cute little cache container!" I thought. It's all covered up in the camo duct tape that The AX gave Al for his birthday about a month ago. Wait a minute! DUCT TAPE?!!?!
So there I am, in the pouring rain using the duct tape that I just peeled off of the cache container to repair my radiator hose, when the local constabulary arrives. It's officer Cronin from the Seymour PD! "Are you O.K.?" he asks. "Yeah, I'm fine. One of my hoses blew, but I've got some duct tape on it so I should be good till I can get to a gas station." Officer Cronin then gives me directions to the auto parts store just down the road. Thank you Officer Cronin. Little did he know that he was dealing with camo-duct-tape-stealing cache burglar! Ha! I'm always one step ahead of the law!
In case you were wondering:
1) Yes, you can use duct tape to temporarily patch a radiator hose. Not only did the camo duct tape hold until I reached the auto parts store, but it even got me home as I didn't want to do the repair in the rain!
2) Yes, Officer Cronin carries an M-16 in his squad car.
3) No, I didn't take ALL the tape off of the cache. Just a little off the top.
4) No, the missing camo tape won't make the cache any easier to find.
Special thanks today go out to:
• The Ax (for giving Al the duct tape)
• Al (for his liberal usage of said duct tape)
• Officer Cronin (for caring so deeply about my auto repair needs)
• The Makers of Duct Tape® (for the bestest invention ever!)