Klaerle’s "Compass Rose 2010" (Pico)
Found this item? Log in.
Printable information sheet to attach to Klaerle’s "Compass Rose 2010" (Pico)
Print Info Sheet
Friday, 13 September 2013
In the hands of the owner.
This is collectible.
Use TB43ZBP to reference this item.
First time logging a Trackable? Click here.
There is currently no goal for this item.
Compass Rose 2010
The 2010 Compass Rose Geocoin® continues in the tradition of celebrating the spirit of discovery and maritime navigation. This year's Compass Rose Geocoin features the historic and legendary islands of the Azores: an amazing archipelago of lush islands in the mid-Atlantic, each with its own individual character and charm. This volcanic chain of islands has a rich history as an essential and strategic waypoint in the travels of explorers, pioneers, and pirates alike. Legends also tell of an even deeper history that suggests these islands might very well be the remnants of a once powerful ocean empire...the lost continent of Atlantis! From myth to metal, we are proud to present the 2010 Compass Rose Geocoin in five stunning color combinations, each as varied as the islands themselves.
- Santa Maria: The first island discovered, stumbled upon by a Portuguese explorer in the year 1427. Plated in antique silver, it has several colors to represent the flowers of the island.
- Pico: Known as "The Black Island" for its black volcanic earth, Pico boasts the highest mountain in Portugal, which is indeed an active volcano. This coin is plated in black nickel on the front and antique bronze on the backside.
- Terceira: The third island discovered is also the third largest in the archipelago. It is known as "The Lilac Island" for the distinctive coloring of its sunsets. We used the lilac color theme and plated the coin with polished nickel.
- Corvo: The "Island of the Crow" is the smallest and most remote of the Azores. It boasts the impressive Caldeirao, a volcanic crater over two miles wide. Using a darker color theme that corresponds with the Crow, we plated this coin in black nickel.
- Flores: Named for its abundance of wild flowers, the waters of this western most island were once controlled by pirates! Darker colors were used to resemble the pirates of lore, and polished gold plating for the loot they stole.
- Limited edition versions not included in the public sale:
-- The Graciosa version made in black nickel with light colors
-- The YemonYime version made with prominently green colors and bronze finish.
The compass rose design is based on a 1595AD chart of Angra (located on the island of Terceira) by Huygen van Linschoten. A sparkling gemstone is set in the center of the compass rose.
- Measures 2" diameter
- 3-D images on the backside
- Translucent and solid colors
- Trackable on Geocaching.com
- An icon unique to this coin will show on your profile when you log a discovery
Regular versions' icon:
Limited versions' icon:
Gallery Images related to Klaerle’s "Compass Rose 2010" (Pico)View 1 Gallery Image
Sorry, I was unable to find any records.
data on this page is cached for 3 mins