WW II-Nat. WW II Glider Pilots Assn. TB
Thursday, 29 March 2012
Texas, United States
This is not collectible.
Use TB4Y1FF to reference this item.
First time logging a Trackable? Click here.
Please drop this item in rural or Premium Member Only caches. Do not drop it in an urban cache or leave it behind at a caching event. Transport the bug in the original plastic bag for as long as the bag lasts; this prevents the chain and tag tangling with other items. Otherwise, take this travel bug anywhere you wish. No permission needed to leave the U.S.
About This Item
Patch with the Association Logo from the Silent Wings Museum. The National World War II Glider Pilots Association is a non-profit veterans organization consisting of World War II Glider Pilot members who earned the MOS 1026 and the Glider Pilots wings. The Silent Wings Museum houses a collection of over 9,000 items, not including photographs and documents. After World War II, glider pilots sought to preserve their legacy and began a project to restore one of the types of gliders that they had flown, the CG-4A. The logo features a front profile of the Waco CG-4A.
Approximately 6000 individuals were trained as glider pilots and earned their wings. Approximately 275 dues paying glider pilots still participate in the activities although their numbers are declining with ages in the 87 to 95 year group. Widows, legatees and other interested persons may continue the deceased glider pilot's participation if so desired as affiliates and members of the Silent Wings Museum. The glider pilots are proud of their silver wings with the large letter "G" which they note really stands for GUTS. It took guts to fly the glider beyond enemy lines on a one-way mission.
Gallery Images related to WW II-Nat. WW II Glider Pilots Assn. TBView All 2 Gallery Images
Tracking History (1219.7mi) View Map