Skip to Content

Travel Bug Dog Tag Love Bug-Channing Red Glass

Trackable Options
notebook Found this item? Log in.
printer Print Info Sheet
Owner:
shellbadger Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Released:
Sunday, September 21, 2014
Origin:
Texas, United States
Recently Spotted:
In El bosque didactico de Ilundain

This is not collectible.

Use TB6C9VM to reference this item.

First time logging a Trackable? Click here.

Current GOAL

Please drop this item in rural OR Premium Member Only caches.  Do not place it in an urban cache or abandon it at a caching event.  Transport the bug in the original plastic bag for as long as the bag lasts; the bag keeps the trackable clean and prevents tangling with other items.  Otherwise, take the travel bug anywhere you wish.  No permission is needed to leave the U.S.

Photos in the travel bug logs are appreciated.  I will be re-post them here, where they can be seen by other cachers.

About This Item

lbredgoldblackglass2

This is one of a series of heart-shaped items obtained from different places and converted into travel bugs. They are named either for the places of their origin or for Texas Panhandle-South Plains towns with interesting names or histories.

Channing, the seat of Hartley County, is located on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway in the southeastern part of the county.  Of all the Panhandle towns associated with the XIT Ranch, only Channing can truly claim that it developed directly from that enterprise.  It derived its original name, Rivers, from George Channing Rivers, paymaster of the railroad when it built through the county in the spring of 1888.  Since the name Rivers duplicated that of another Texas town, the name was changed to Channing later that year.  

In 1891, Channing was general headquarters of the XIT.  Albert G. Boyce, the ranch's general manager and a prominent early citizen, built the first house in the town.  Boyce's "Poor Farm," the Rita Blanca Division headquarters, was less than two miles south of town.  When Tascosa was abandoned, several of its businesses were moved to Channing.  By 1900 Channing had two lumberyards, two general stores, a school, and a grocery store, which also housed the post office.  Although the town initially had several saloons, these were later voted out.  Two elections, one in November 1896 and the other in May 1903, were required for Channing to replace Hartley as county seat.  The original frame courthouse was moved to Channing on wheels by a group of XIT cowboys and was transformed into a hotel when the brick courthouse was built in 1906.  Two years later, the local women's club established a public library, one of the earliest in the Panhandle.

The XIT, which conducted much of its business from Channing, was the town's chief customer until liquidation of the ranch in 1911.  For a time thereafter, the real estate business thrived from the sale of XIT lands.  Among the prominent citizens were the brothers James and William Powell of England, who were the first to breed Hereford cattle in the Panhandle.  With A. G. Boyce, the Powells established the Channing Methodist Church.  Walter Farwell, one of the family of XIT financiers, built his spacious summer home just outside Channing.  His tree-lined driveway and his wife Mildred's southern hospitality became legendary.  In addition, Farwell had on his estate a dam and artificial lake and a polo field on which he trained cow horses for the game.

By 1940 Channing had a population of 475 with a high school, three churches, and five businesses, including a plant for grinding volcanic cinders and a cinder-block plant. Channing was incorporated in 1960 and grew as a shipping point and trade center for grains, feed, and livestock.  By 1984, mainly because of the accessibility of Dalhart and Amarillo by U.S. highways 87 and 385, the population had decreased to 304.  Six businesses were in operation. In 1990 the population was 277 and in 2000 it was 356.

Gallery Images related to Love Bug-Channing Red Glass

View 1 Gallery Image

Tracking History (6427.2mi) View Map

Dropped Off 2/28/2017 noa_iris placed it in El bosque didactico de Ilundain Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - 1.57 miles  Visit Log
Visited 2/28/2017 noa_iris took it to Valle de Aranguren Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - 9.1 miles  Visit Log
Visited 2/26/2017 noa_iris took it to El cementerio de las botellas Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - .29 miles  Visit Log
Visited 2/26/2017 noa_iris took it to Fuerte de Alfonso XIII Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - 6.96 miles  Visit Log
Retrieve It from a Cache 8/18/2016 noa_iris retrieved it from Antiguo palacio de Gendulain Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain   Visit Log

Encontrado en lugar recóndito. Veremos hacia donde va...

Dropped Off 8/14/2016 lupagraf placed it in Antiguo palacio de Gendulain Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - .18 miles  Visit Log

Visited 8/14/2016 lupagraf took it to Un descanso en el Camino (Cizur Menor) Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - 4.62 miles  Visit Log

Visitado Un descanso en el Camino (Cizur Menor) (GC3WEK9)

Visited 8/13/2016 lupagraf took it to Los 4 elementos -AGUA- Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - .62 miles  Visit Log

Visitado Los 4 elementos -AGUA- (GC6GZ5C)

Visited 8/13/2016 lupagraf took it to PUEBLO VIEJO DE BARAÑAIN Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - 46.99 miles  Visit Log

Visitado PUEBLO VIEJO DE BARAÑAIN (GC5Q8XB)

Visited 8/12/2016 lupagraf took it to Monumento a la familia Comunidad Foral de Navarra, Spain - 46.48 miles  Visit Log
data on this page is cached for 3 mins

Advertising with Us

Return to the Top of the Page