Love Bug-Jericho Red Stone
Sunday, 21 September 2014
Texas, United States
This is not collectible.
Use TB6C9W3 to reference this item.
First time logging a Trackable? Click here.
Please drop this item in rural OR Premium Member Only caches. Do not place it in an urban cache or abandon it at a caching event. Transport the bug in the original plastic bag for as long as the bag lasts; the bag keeps the trackable clean and prevents tangling with other items. Otherwise, take the travel bug anywhere you wish. No permission is needed to leave the U.S.
Photos in the travel bug logs are appreciated. I will be re-post them here, where they can be seen by other cachers.
About This Item
This is one of a series of heart-shaped items obtained from different places and converted into travel bugs. They are named either for the places of their origin or for Texas Panhandle-South Plains towns with interesting names or histories.
Jericho was founded in the late 1880s as a mail stagecoach stop to change horses and feed any passengers aboard. The faint tracks led across bare prairie from Saint's Roost (modern day Clarendon) to Fort Elliott (today's Mobeetie). Composed of a dugout with drinking water hauled in wooden barrels from a nearby spring, settlers began to gather as the Indians were removed to reservations after the Red River Wars ended in the late 1870s.
The Jericho Cemetery was established in 1894 after an unusual outbreak of Malaria killed several settlers. The cause was traced to stagnant water at the spring where drinking water was obtained. Improvements to the facility were made eliminating the stagnant water.
Construction started in 1900 on a railroad track built by the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Texas Railroad Company. Most local settlers and their stock teams worked on the construction project. The first official train ran on July 6, 1902. Cattle loading facilities were constructed to accommodate nearby large ranches and a huge water storage reservoir was built by the railroad to refill steam engines and provide water for people and livestock.
Jericho became famous in legend and folklore after Congress authorized a new coast-to-coast highway in 1926, calling it Route 66. Its passage through Jericho added prosperity with several gas stations, stores and a motel built to serve the travelers. The main reason for fame came from the stretch of highway between Alanreed and Groom which went through Jericho. Called "Jericho Gap" any rains caused the dirt roads to turn into black-gumbo-mud becoming almost impassible to the vehicles of the time. Nearby farmers made a good living with their teams of work horses pulling the travellers from the mud holes. Legend has it that the enterprising farmers hauled water at night to dump in the mud holes to prolong their source of income.
With the railroad, Route 66 and well-traveled Highway 70 going through their town, citizens of Jericho believed their fair town was destined for greatness. In the 1930s, Route 66 was moved one-half mile north, by-passing the town and spelling doom for its future. Today, Jericho is a ghost town, with one occupied home amid scattered ruins, cement foundations and piles of junk.
Gallery Images related to Love Bug-Jericho Red StoneView All 3 Gallery Images
Tracking History (13646.4mi) View Map