Skip to Content

Travel Bug Dog Tag WW II-Silent Wings WACO CG4A TB

Trackable Options
notebook Found this item? Log in.
printer Print Info Sheet
There is 1 user watching this listing.
Owner:
shellbadger Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Released:
Friday, 02 March 2018
Origin:
Texas, United States
Recently Spotted:
In the hands of DnRseekers.

This is not collectible.

Use TB7YT8E to reference this item.

First time logging a Trackable? Click here.

Current GOAL

Please drop this item in rural OR Premium Member Only caches.  Do not place it in an urban cache or abandon it at a caching event.  Transport the bug in the original plastic bag for as long as the bag lasts; the bag keeps the trackable clean, protects the number and prevents tangling with other items.  Otherwise, take the travel bug anywhere you wish.  No permission is needed to leave the U.S.

Travel bug photos are appreciated and will be re-posted here.

About This Item

Keychain Pendant (WACO-CG4A). This item was purchased at the Silent Wings Museum, Lubbock, TX. The museum preserves and promotes the history of the World War II military glider program. The facility is located on the site of the World War II South Plains Army Air Field, where about 80% of the glider pilots were trained between 1942 and 1945. Depicted is a WACO CG4A, the most widely used United States troop/cargo military glider of World War II. Among many exhibits, the museum houses a faithfully restored example of the nearly the nearly 15,000 WACO gliders built during the war effort.

The CG-4A was constructed of fabric-covered wood and metal and was crewed by a pilot and copilot. It had two fixed mainwheels and a tailwheel. The CG-4A could carry 13 troops and their equipment. Cargo loads could be a jeep, a 75 mm howitzer, or a ¼ ton trailer; they were loaded through the upward-hinged nose section. C-47s were usually used as tow aircraft. CG-4As went into operation in July 1943 during the Allied invasion of Sicily. They participated in the American airborne landings in Normandy on 6 June 1944, and in other important airborne operations in Europe and in the China-Burma-India Theater.

The WACOs were conceived and built to be retrieved and reused. On the battlefield a tow cable was elevated to be available for a low-flying tow plane equipped with a tail hook. However, gliders were generally considered expendable by high-ranking European theater officers and combat personnel and were usually abandoned, or destroyed, after the initial landing. Despite this general lack of support for the recovery system, several gliders were recovered from Normandy and even more from the Operation Market-Garden in the Netherlands and Wesel, Germany.

Gallery Images related to WW II-Silent Wings WACO CG4A TB

View All 2 Gallery Images

Tracking History (25421.6mi) View Map

Visited 05/24/2019 DnRseekers took it to Zzstop Indiana - 38.7 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/18/2019 DnRseekers took it to Huntington Reservoir Indiana - .13 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/18/2019 DnRseekers took it to SixDogTeam Tribute Indiana - 20.34 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/18/2019 DnRseekers took it to OUABACHE CACHE Indiana - .62 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/18/2019 DnRseekers took it to BuffaloBox Indiana - 53.18 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/16/2019 DnRseekers took it to #2 Rail and maybe an Osprey Indiana - .22 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/16/2019 DnRseekers took it to #1 Rail Indiana - 283.86 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/13/2019 DnRseekers took it to Mr. Gray US Illinois - 580.92 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/12/2019 DnRseekers took it to East Water Tower Nebraska - .36 miles  Visit Log
Visited 05/12/2019 DnRseekers took it to Stool Pigeon Nebraska - 638.2 miles  Visit Log
data on this page is cached for 3 mins

Advertising with Us

Return to the Top of the Page