Skip to content

Whats On @ the Pumphouse? (Auckland) Multi-Cache

This cache has been archived.

G_2: No idea when the repairs to GZ are going to be finished, so ,its up for grabs,thanks for all the fun!

More
Hidden : 12/26/2006
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
3 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Pretty well all of the terrain is good,the difficult part is the last cache which may involve some difficulty depending on ones agility & confidence.

Once again we had decided on planting just one cache by the main attraction,but on walking thru the park, we found so many other interesting trees & scenes we decided to take it by the throat & drag you up hill & down dale to the ends of the park !

HISTORY OF THE PUMPHOUSE---

FROM WATERWORKS
Two pumphouses were built to supply Lake Pupuke water - initially to Devonport but later to most of the North Shore.

The first was built in 1894 and was partially demolished in 1931.

The second was completed in October 1905 at a cost of £3287; The system was first operational on 4th November 1905 It was however not officially opened until March 1906; This is the building known today as The PumpHouse, and today it functions as a theatre and gallery and is administered by the North Shore Theatre and Arts Trust.

The construction of both buildings involved pioneer North Shore industrialists 'their names are familiar' the bricks were manufactured by Duders Bros brickworks on the north-eastern side of Ngataringa Bay on a site now occupied by navy housing.

The timber was from Bonds Sawmill - just inside the main gates of HMNZS Philomel.

The contractors were Mays and Gordon from Devonport, and the engineer in charge was Henry Metcalfe, also from Devonport; Mr James Mays was the clerk of works and responsible for coordinating each contractor.

The pumping plant comprised 2 boilers and 2 pumps; The main pump was capable of pumping 100,000 gallons of water through 4 miles of pipes in 8 hours to the reservoir on Mt Victoira, while the ancilliary pump could lift 7000 gallons an hour; The reservoir could be filled in 22 hours, with 2 tons of coal being burnt.

The pumphouse was described as being - plain brick, 74 feet by 38 feet, comprising a boiler room engine room, coal store, all under one roof, with a brick chimney 80 feet high on a concrete base, and lit throughout with electric light?.

The other building on site, the Green Shed was used to house the electric pumps that pumped the supply after 1927.

Both buildings became unused in 1944 when water quality and quantity deteriorated and a new supply was sourced from the Waitakeres; A comment from historical material reads as follows: "hardly 10 years passed before the level of the lake began to fall; the more rapid the rise in polulation, the faster the lake level fall; and the more curious the flavour and even the texture of the liquid that came darkly from our taps; The story of protozoa in the kitchen sink was replaced by one about eels in the bath, and in 1944 few regretted the changeover to the Auckland supply".

The pumphouse as a water-pumping station was now redundant.

TO THEATRE AND GALLERY COMPLEX

The pumphouse and the green shed then fell into disrepair and were essentially used as storage for the North Shore Rowing Club. Tucked away out of sight and largely out of mind, the pumphouse attracted few visitors ? rowers, adventuring children, artists ? few others bothered.

The pumphouse building and the Green Shed then lay derelict and in danger of demolition until the 1960?s when the Council of the day wanted to demolish it to make way for gardens. The casting vote of Takapuna Mayor, Mr Fred Thomas, saved the building from this fate and from 1968 to 1971 a steering committee was formed to consider how the building could be converted to a Theatre - at times against considerable opposition.

With support from amateur dramatic groups and many North Shore residents the North Shore Theatre and Arts Trust was formed and incorporated in 1971 and the task of raising money and planning the restoration work began.

The Theatre was opened in 1977 and with later additions has become the vibrant Theatre and Gallery complex it is today.

The group who saw the potential for the building to be transformed as a theatre were not the only one to see a use for the historic site, and they had to compete with many others. However with the incorporation of the Trust in 1971 the task of raising money and planning the renovations began.

One of the more daunting tasks was bringing the building up to earthquake standard - particularly the chimney; While there was some talk of having this demolished, the engineers on the Trust fought long and hard, and with steel reinforcing around the outside, and concrete inside, it was bought up to standard.

The pumphouse building itself, although with sound brickwork, had deteriorated with 30 years of neglect and all the fittings, doors, windows etc had gone. The inside surfaces told their story of having been used to house a coal-fired steam engine. Plans for a raked auditorium, stage, a backstage room above the old coal bunker, and the green room were made and begun. The lovely round-top windows and doors were preserved and the new extensions carefully matched.

The first production was onstage in 1977.

The success of The PumpHouse has led to its daily use as a Theatre and Gallery. The complex is predominantly operated as a venue for hire and is significantly self-funded, with some support from the North Shore City Council.

The PumpHouse is administered by the North Shore Theatre and Arts Trust Board, elected annually from Trust members. A Director employed by the Trust is responsible for the management of The PumpHouse and its activities.

NOW, TO THE CACHES---
1/ find the start point---on ramp walkway
(Co-ordinates above) & get the co-ordinates for the second waypoint.

2/On a big tree-- dont run into.

3/Another big tree with easy micro cache find,could be camoed,you know me.

4/We are looking for an example of Moses & the burning bush type of tree,maybe the local fire brigade (building to the left) made an example of it or practiced their skills on it,hopefully the tree felt rather put out,(ahem!)
Another micro--berrocca tin, to find here.Actual hide is offset by 12 paces 130 deg magnetic.

5/Coming to a dog leg in the course we find an example of that in tree form as well, with the micro used here as well.

6/ Magnetic micro at the place with the best views at the park,I think.

7/Another mag micro.Nuff said,& were almost there,did you bring your togs for the next port of call?

8/ Look for the co-ordinates for the cache,(S36 47.000 E174 46.000) the last 3 digits for the main cache is inscribed here.

FINAL CACHE---take a look to see if you are up to this one,you may need the support of someone else (Kay did it alright) Hope you had as much fun as we did compiling this event---Glyn & Kay (not our real names)

CACHE CONTAINS---Usual items of treasure & log book etc.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

1/ znt zvpeb ba cvcr--ba gur eg--ybj . 2/--va cvar gerr fbhgu fvqr ,nobir urnq, va erprff 3/ ubyr va gerr 4/ Haqre Shatvv tebjgu 5/ onfr bs gerr 6/ jurer ryfr jbhyq n znt tb? 7/ pbybherq terra 8/ raq bar bs gurz-pybfr gb U2b Svany-vgf nyy HC gb lbh!.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)