How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Welcome to the 4th cache by "Blatherskite".
MULLUM WETLANDS AT MANSFIELD
Allow 45 minutes for an OPTIONAL 1.5 kilometre return walk.
Friends of the Mansfield Mullum Wetlands Incorporated currently manage the wetlands.
This group aims to develop and maintain an aesthetically pleasing and effective educational wetlands ecosystem through community involvement.
Management strategies include:
· Weed control.
· Planting of native flora.
· Monitoring native fauna and water quality and water levels.
· Seek funding to implement improvements.
The Friends of the Mansfield Mullum Wetlands acknowledge the financial support of:
· The Mullum Foundation.
· Wetland and Wildlife Creations.
· Monsanto Australia.
· Parks Victoria.
· Shire of Delatite.
· Project Mansfield.
VALUE OF THE WETLANDS.
· Improves the quality of the water catchment.
SOME OF THE SPECIES INCLUDE:
· Acacia dealbata (Silver Wattle)
· Acacia pycnantha. (Golden wattle)
· Marsilea mutica. (Nardoo)
· Poa labillardiera. (Tussock grass)
· Alisma plantago aquatica. (Water plantain)
· Lythrum salicaria. (Purple loosestrife)
· Allocasuarina verticillata. (Drooping sheoak)
· Eucalyptus viminalis. (Manna gum)
· Eucalyptus camaldulensis. (Red Gum)
· Bolboschoenus medianus. (Tall spikerush)
· Melaleuca ericifolia. (Swamp Paperbark)
· Callistemon paludosus. (River bottlebrush)
· Leptospermum continentale. (Prickly Tea Tree)
1891 Official opening of the railway line and the arrival of the 1st passenger train from Melbourne on October 6th.
1910 Railway Station and buildings were constructed in the Queen Victoria style of housing.
1977 Mansfield passenger rail service closes. Last train runs May 28th.
1978 Railway ceases operation November 8th.
1989 Shire of Delatite Council requests Project Mansfield to act on behalf of Mansfield Community in efforts to establish Visitor Centre on V/Line land at western entrance to township.
1990 Successful submission from Project Mansfield to Mullum Trust for funds to develop a feasibility study of a Visitor Information Centre in Mansfield.
1991 Shire endorses ‘in principle’ Railway Land Concept Plan.
1993 Land transferred to Department of Natural Resources & Environment.
Mansfield Railway Land Committee of Management formed.
1998 $106,160.00 from major Federal and State funding allocated to design and construction of wetlands.
The Friends of the Mansfield Mullum Wetlands formed (incorporated in 1999).
$10,000.00 Grant from Mullum Trust.
1999 $6,000.00 Community Grant from Parks Victoria for plants and footpath.
2000 Open Spaces Committee of Mansfield formed to manage Crown Land, including Mansfield Mullum Wetlands.
2001 Gateway Project funded by Federal Government’s Federation Community Grant of $10,000.00 & Council contribution of $14,000.00
The cache is a 500ml. container that contains a log book and some items to swap.
PLEASE BRING A PEN/PENCIL
Parking facilities are available at "The Station"
qba'g trg lbhe srrg jrg