WELCOME TO OZONE FALLS
There is a small parking area big enough for probably 8 cars. More parking is available across the street but be careful crossing the road.
The coordinates above will take you to a kiosk with information on these beautiful falls. This is also the trail head for the path to the falls which is really short and flat.
Waterfalls occur where a band of harder rock crosses the path of a river. The river is less able to erode this harder rock and leaves it as a step in the river's long profile. See the image below for a visual reference of how waterfalls work.
There are several different types of waterfalls. The image below shows the different types and gives a brief description
To get credit for this Earthcache you must email me the answers to the following questions:
(1) Take a picture of yourself and/or your group with GPS at the kiosk.
(2) On the sign, under “"Threats to Ozone Falls”, find the information to fill in the blanks to this sentence; “Threats to Ozone range from ______ _______ to _______ _______.
(3) Also on the sign, tell me how far the falls plunge.
(4) Go to these coordinates N35 52.833 W084 48.603. Are you at the top of the falls or at the base?
(5) Using the image above which shows the different types of falls, tell me which type you think Ozone Falls is?
There is a trail that takes you behind the falls but the terrain will be difficult for some. It’s still a very short hike, maybe .10 mile but very slippery and rocky!
This cache can't be done at night unless I can clearly see you in the picture. Please don't post your answers in your log.
Any "FOUND IT" log without your picture and without the correct answers emailed to me will be DELETED. Thanks and HAPPY CACHING!
(click to visit our website)