Skip to Content

Multi-cache

BoB I - Széchenyi Lánchíd

A cache by pupSino Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 10/12/2007
In Budapest, Hungary
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size: regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Cache Issues:

  • This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

This is the first part of a bridges series located in Budapest. All of them will be MultiCaches with just a few stages. Please keep the determined variables. They will be useful for an additional 'bonus'-cache.

                    Bridges Of Budapest

Széchenyi Chain Bridge - Széchenyi Lánchíd

                           

Here's what Wikipedia tells us about:

Széchenyi Lánchíd or Széchenyi Chain Bridge is a suspension bridge that spans the River Danube between Buda and Pest, the western and eastern sides of Budapest, the capital of Hungary. It was the first permanent bridge across the Danube in Budapest, and was opened in 1849.

Its two ends are:

The bridge is named after István Széchenyi, a major supporter of its construction. At the time of its construction, it counted as a wonder of the world. It had an enormous significance in the country's economics and life. Its decorations made of cast iron, and its construction, radiating calm dignity and balance, raised it among the most beautiful industrial monuments in Europe. It became a symbol of advancement, national awakening, and the linkage between East and West.



The bridge was designed by the English engineer William Tierney Clark in 1839, after Count István Széchenyi's initiative in the same year, with construction supervised locally by Scottish engineer Adam Clark (no relation). It is a larger scale version of William Tierney Clark's earlier Marlow Bridge, across the River Thames in Marlow, England.

The bridge was opened in 1849, and thus became the first permanent bridge in the Hungarian capital. At the time, its center span of 202 m was one of the largest in the world. The pairs of lions at each of the abutments were added in 1852. The bridge was given its current name in 1899.

The bridge's steel structure was totally updated and strengthened in 1914. In World War II, the bridge was damaged, and it needed to be rebuilt. The rebuilding was completed in 1949.




Start:

Look  for a black memorial tablet when arriving at the header-coordinates.
There are interesting facts on it.
Search for a 4 digits number on the tablet and  call it "A".

Cache:

N 47°        xx,xxx'        xx,xxx=N0+(A+2)/(1000*1000)
E 019°      yy,yyy'        yy,yyy=E0-((A-144)/9)/1000



Initial Cache Content:                  
  • Fingerfrog
  • Appelman
  • little Compass


happy caching!

            pupSino


version 1.0.1

size changed to regular

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



 

Find...

651 Logged Visits

Found it 486     Didn't find it 38     Write note 101     Needs Archived 4     Temporarily Disable Listing 5     Enable Listing 4     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 5     Owner Maintenance 5     Post Reviewer Note 2     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 173 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 9/5/2017 5:01:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time (12:01 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page